20 replies to this topic

#1 DaveH

DaveH

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Not sure if it is possible to answer this one here, but feel so frustrated now, so will ask the question anyway. When you get out of your car and you find a stranger standing there, whats is the first thing that you just know he is going to say, and i am sure some of you got this right. Three words "WHAT IS IT". And like me how many say its a sera pronounced like the girls name sara or sarah, well thats what i have been doing since i have owned this car, but must admit have never felt it sounded quite right. So today i tried to look up how the word sera should sound, and here is where my frustration kicks in. It says it does not sound like the girls name Sara or Sarah But should in fact sound like SEIRA GGGGRRRRR, So frustrating. So here is my question how the hell does the word sera sound, they say it should sound like Seira, is this meant to answer my question, because now i need to know how the word seira should sound, is it like the old ford siera car. Thinking about it i am not sure if it is possible to answer my question on here but if anyone can give it a go i really would be very gratefull. Many thanks Dave H

#2 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Great question! I pronounce it Seara, like the Sears Tower. Sara and Sarah is definitely incorrect. That's my two pennies worth. Anyone else care to give it a go?

#3 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Being a proud northener, I pronounce it with a flat 'E' . Sera - rhymes with Terror !

We do have a forum member who is actually called Sera herself - maybe she can put us all right on this one !

#4 DaveH

DaveH

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Mork, i think i have it but can you just confirm. If i split the word sera into two syllable's the first of which would sound like the word sea and on the end of that add a ra, which would sound like the first part of the word rattle, then just say it as one word sea ra. Does that sound correct. And is that definately it, or just how you think it sounds. Does anyone else agree with that. Again many thanks.

#5 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

A quick Youtube search may help here

Original Japanese Advert for the Sera ( rhymes with Terror - told you so ! )

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

( bonus points for it being a mighty Grellow too! )

#6 nemo

nemo

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

wow, the ad pronounces it much faster than I do, and a much more clipped 'r'.

It's defintiely a two syllable though, and it bugs me when people call it 'sierra'. TOO MANY SYLLABLES!

My pronunciation has been with a long flat e... like 'seer' (or sear - like a steak) + 'ra' (but not 'see' + 'ra', because 'see' ends with a 'y' sounds in my aussie accent :)

#7 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

I see this debate going on a while.

Good find Rich, maybe we should all pronounce it that way, afterall they made it!!

Toy O Ta Sear Ra...that's how I pronounce it!! :)

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Sara
Sarah
Sierra
Serra
Serah
Sura

Heard them all...

I've always said Sera as terror myself.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#9 goddammit

goddammit

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thought of it as Seeera when I first had it, but a conversation like this on here converted to the 'Terror' version :)

#10 TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

Them: What car is that?

Me: It's a Toyota Sera.

Them: I didn't think Toyota made the Sierra.

Me:No, S-E-R-A, like it's spelt on the back of the car, look it even lights up! Flappy doors! Woooo!

I also get the Sierra thing *EVERY SINGLE TIME* I go to a parts place..... Maybe it's something to do with the Australian accent..

Or I get the usual *Check out that sweet car!* *What is it?* whispered between themselves, which saves me the above conversation.

#11 Perkypudding

Perkypudding

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

On sera4lyfe website the name is from the French will be.So ask a Frog.Que sera sera.

#12 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Try this one. It's a bit clearer to hear.

#13 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

On sera4lyfe website the name is from the French will be.So ask a Frog.Que sera sera.

In Turkish and Albanian it means Greenhouse.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#14 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Toyota probably avoid the French after the whole 'MR2' unfortunateness ! :)

#15 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

A message dragged up from the old Yahoo email group (dated October 2002)

Chris_C sent an email to Mr. Misono - head of design at Toyota, and got the following reply.

I have now had an email from Mr.Kaneko:

"I was asked from Mr. Misono (top manager of the design division at Toyota Motor Corporation) that you want some information about the Sera developing story.

At that time I was a chief engineer at T.M.C., and engaged in Sera project team from 1983 to 1993.

In 1995 I moved to Kanto Auto Works, in which we manufacture about 10%domestic Toyota-brand-vehicles. Now I live in Yokohama with my family, an old beagle and an older darkgray Sera.

I am very happy to hear that there are still considerable number of Sera owners in the world, because I thought Sera was only domestic model and its sales volume were very low.

Although my English and my memory is very, very poor, I am glad to answer your question. I hope you might understand them completely.

First of all, I explain the Sera developing method. New car projects are generally made systematically and functionary in every part of the
company. But Sera project was unusual. Sera team consisted of scores of members, including designers, engineers, product planners, market
investigators, sales stuff, etc., and adopted rather guerilla tactics.

Questions and Answers
1) Sera naming: New naming is always very hard work for product planners. Sera naming was also in the same situation. In conclusion,
we chose and decided Sera from various categories and variations, one of the reasons is its elegant and exotic sound for most Japanese.

2)Market: Of course Toyota has been No.1 automaker in Japan since 1950, but there were some critics that Toyota seemed conservative and
targeted mass market only. In order to change and appeal the image, top management decided to challenge a new market with a new, striking
concept model. So, Sera developing team aimed a casual sporty car that was far from usual Toyota car line-up, for young aggressive people.

3) Developing years:
1983~1985 ==market investigation
1985~1990 ==planning, designing, engineering, product arrange

4) Compromise from the AXV $B-6 (B: Concept models are often designed idealistically. Lots of works needed to shift from concept car stage to production stage.
---manufacturing, ergonomics, cost, performance, etc.
---ex. difficulty about large glass formation
Except those things, I believe Sera succeeded to AXV concept and design.

5) IAD: I cannot remember the IAD. As far as I know Sera was completely Toyota original design.

6) Sera variation models: We had a few Sera conversion models including a power-up engine version, but could not launch in the
market. Now I clearly remember the unfinished 2seater semi-open-model without the rear wind glass, and with canvas top.

7) Oversea model: Team members researched to export Sera, but gave up the plan because of the difficulty of sales estimation.

8) Accessories: I am sorry I don't know the details of accessories except Toyota genuine parts.

9) Anecdotes,1: At a team meeting in 1985, one of our members presented a paperboard car model with diagonal moving gullwing doors.
We were fascinated with this idea, and decided that our target would have a new gullwing doors, even if there were many technical problems
to solve. The name of the hero was young Misono himself.

10) Others: In Japan we also have a Sera club called Sera-Gullwing-Freak. Now I am inquiring the activity of the club.

If you want further questions or opinions, please ask me again. Someday, I hope I can find Sera driving outside Japan.

Sincerely Yours:
Mikio Kaneko

Another top bloke!
So Sera was given its name because it sounded nice. So much for the Turkish greenhouse theory?
Anyone for a Sera convertible?

The bit about IAD was in response to rumours that some of the design was done by IAD in Worthing - apparently not.

I am emailling Mr.Kaneko back thanking him for his information. I don't want to pester him with lots of correspondence but if anyone
has any questions I can put them to him.

Chris

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users