43 replies to this topic

#31 elfenstar

elfenstar

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

Hope its not too little too late, but i just "found" this post and found the relay following the instructions!! (THANKS MARK!!!!!)

Rear Window demister

To "best describe" their position would be above the fusebox at the same height as the bonnet release lever. Its attached to the frame of the car so trying to look at it is "fun". I would suggest using your right hand to feel for it while turning on and off the demister switch with your left. You can feel the clicking.

My relay has the same problem as his. I can hear the clicking but no power runs to the demister. Pins 3 and 4 which are meant to cut off power to the demister after a while to prevent overload were discoloured too and i noticed that the plastic where the pin 4 runs into the relay was a lil melted. Fortunately it looks like a generic relay that would cost less than aud$20. Will update this later tonight.

Edit: Arrgh... there's also a circuit breaking thingy right NEXT to the relay. The relay is red, the breaker is black. (I'm assuming its a circuit breaker as it says breaker on the top of it and theres a hole to poke something into that i'm guessing is to reset it.)

Update 1: good news. The breaker is fine. now to get a new relay to " test" it out.

Update 2: Bad news, its not a generic relay, its toyota/lexus specific. Going there tomorrow to find out how much one costs.

Update 3: The relay has set me back aud $38. Its "in-stock" in Sydney and will be at Melbourne City Toyota ard 10am on mon. The parts guy said that Toyota australia has never sold this part ever...

#32 elfenstar

elfenstar

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

its now officially working!!!

#33 Tony

Tony

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

its now officially working!!!

Right, I think this is the problem with Marie's car.

So I need a new Relay switch.

I'll get back to you all after the weekend on this one.

Cheers mate (although my responce is a little overdue! :) )

#34 LondonThing

LondonThing

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

I had the same relay issue on my car, I popped the cover to the relay and bent the arm that wasn't making contact a little. They all seem to get warped with long use and dont make contact anymore. Altho after my fix, the relay has been used all the time...

Hope thats of some help.
My Sera:The Garage

Non-sera related: My business

#35 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

I found it!!!!!!!!!
I love you elfenstar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, are you in Melbourne???
Posted Image

#36 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Was all in my attempt at installing a headlight buzzer (neither me nor my girlfriends dad could get the damn thing to work following the instructions provided)

If it helps, there are wires on the radio connector(s) that you can use. That's what I did. I have a list of what the wires on the DIN connector do, somewhere.

Does anyone have a diagram for the stereo connectors? Need to wire a boost gauge in so need earth, live and lights.

#37 Alan1972

Alan1972

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

I'm having the same problem with my demister! the wires are ok on the window and the relay clicks! but I have 2 wires hanging down under the dash! One red and one purple, anyone know what they are?

#38 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Do you have voltage at the rear demister wires at the boot? If not I'd say the relay is shot. You can try to clean it (mine had melted a bit) or swap it for another one. There were several models that use the same part number, Believe I got my spare from a Toyota Paseo.

#39 IsettaWorld

IsettaWorld

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Do you have voltage at the rear demister wires at the boot? If not I'd say the relay is shot. 

There is one other possibility. There is a block connector under the roof lining ( behind the interior light ) which takes current and earth to the heated rear screen. It has two wires in, two wires out. My block connector was severely corroded and was not making good connections, so it is well worth checking. You can get to it easily by opening the rear window and using a broad screwdriver or similar to gently lever down the roof lining. There are hidden clips which hold the lining in place and which will re-engage when you press the lining back up afterwards.

#40 Alan1972

Alan1972

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

Done that and now have power going down to the window! Just got to wait for it to mist up now to test it fully! :)

#41 IsettaWorld

IsettaWorld

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Done that and now have power going down to the window! Just got to wait for it to mist up now to test it fully! :)

I'm getting all steamed up waiting to hear of your success.

Where was your relay? How big, what colour, writing on it ?

Terry

#42 Alan1972

Alan1972

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

the relay is red and you need to get on your back with a torch under the drivers side of the dash! its up high and close to the side of the car! hope that helps. :)

#43 sikari2015

sikari2015

Harmless

• Super Special Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:13 AM

what fuse or relay do I need to remove to disable the fuel pump to depressurise the fuel filter? I don't fancy being sprayed in the face with fuel.

#44 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

Easiest way to vent any pressure in the fuel system is to first open the fuel filler cap and close it again and then crack open the main fuel pipe banjo fitting and then immediately re-tighten it.        With keys out the fuel pump should be off.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users