22 replies to this topic

#16 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I notice from one of the engine shots (the one showing the PAS reservoir) that the HI/LO boost solenoid has been bypassed as the two pipes which go two and from the solenoid have been looped back on themselves.

This gives a fractional increase in peak boost, removes a component that is prone to failing shut, and makes the wiring a bit easier.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#17 MountainmanJohn

MountainmanJohn

Mountain freak.....

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

Thats all good news. As Im anticipating keeping My Sera for ages now.......and would hapily stay Auto if I turbo'd it. Another cost saved...................not that Im doing it till I get engine trouble.
............................................Visit my Mountaineering pages...............................................

..........................................My Grellow.....................................................

#18 RikaSera

RikaSera

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

That's interesting :)

There are loads of Toyota Starlet Auto Turbo's here. So what your saying is basically...

1. Get a 4E-FTE Auto slap it in my Sera
2. Bypass HI\LO Boost Control
3. Change to Starlet Manual ECU

DONE? or is there more to it?

Oh Hello all from New Zealand!

#19 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Hi Rika & welcome.

1) The auto Starlet has a different ecu and it's auto is somehow electronically controlled by that ECU.
You could use this, but it would need some (a lot?) of rewiring to take advantage of the auto ecu features.
IMO, without doing that rewiring, the ecu may not get the signals it needs to operate normally, so this wouldn't work.

2) a vacuum feed from the turbo connects to the Hi/Lo boost solenoid, this solenoid closes to cause low boost and it opens to give high boost. When removing the vacuum line from the turbo side, leave the turbo line open to have high boost (approx 10psi) if you block it off you only get low boost (~5psi).

3) I do think you can use just the engine from an auto Starlet, add a manual 4EFTE ECU as you said, and you should be right to go.

#20 RikaSera

RikaSera

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Hi Rika & welcome.

1) The auto Starlet has a different ecu and it's auto is somehow electronically controlled by that ECU.
You could use this, but it would need some (a lot?) of rewiring to take advantage of the auto ecu features.
IMO, without doing that rewiring, the ecu may not get the signals it needs to operate normally, so this wouldn't work.

2) a vacuum feed from the turbo connects to the Hi/Lo boost solenoid, this solenoid closes to cause low boost and it opens to give high boost. When removing the vacuum line from the turbo side, leave the turbo line open to have high boost (approx 10psi) if you block it off you only get low boost (~5psi).

3) I do think you can use just the engine from an auto Starlet, add a manual 4EFTE ECU as you said, and you should be right to go.

Ello Ello Ello!, Thanks, Happy to have my first Sera!! Excellent, Ok so. 4E-FTE Engine in with manual ecu(straight bolt-on no re-wiring), Turbo boost(Leaving it open. CHECK)

Done... lol sounds so easy don't it? There's got to be a catch? P.S Found out tonight that I don't have the 5E-FHE :( There's no ACIS Manifold. Sad Face

#21 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Every sera out of the factory was a 5E-FHE, so unless it's been inadvertently downgraded after a bad engine swap, someone might be able to tell you how to spot the difference.

#22 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Seras never had the ACIS manifold...

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#23 RikaSera

RikaSera

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Great so I'm in the process of sourcing a healthy Glanza Auto Engine and EP82 manual ecu :-) thanks guys.

As for my 5E-FHE. It has non ACIS yes, Orange Injectors, 5E stamped on engine and a 4E-FTE Disi that runs a coil.

Would this be normal?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users