120 replies to this topic

#1 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

After a couple of years in Belgium where I barely used it, and 6 months on the driveway, I've decided to get the Sera back on the road, but not before I do the 4E-FTE and a few other bits and pieces. I'm just starting this thread so I can keep all my questions in one place rather than flooding the place.

Stage one began today, got the door struts off without any major hassle. Does Andrew still sell the Phase III struts and are they better value than getting them from Toyota Ireland. I'd imagine so with the current exchange rate!

Aside from the that. I'm currently hunting for a crashed EP82, which is proving more difficult than I thought it would.....

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

Yes I do. They're about 130 each plus 15% vat and shipping costs.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Yes I do. They're about 130 each plus 15% vat and shipping costs.

Cheers for that. I'll see what the going rate here is and give you a shout tomorrow ;)

#4 Brendan Sutton

Brendan Sutton

Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Ive got a 4efte block with pistons-rods-crank, 4efte head, starlet ct9 turbo, starlet manifold and downpipe.

Only thing missing is gearbox, 4efte sump, ecu, 4efte oil relocation plate.

Bit of work to put together, but have them there if your ever intersted, im in Dublin.

Cheers Mate

#5 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Ive got a 4efte block with pistons-rods-crank, 4efte head, starlet ct9 turbo, starlet manifold and downpipe.

Only thing missing is gearbox, 4efte sump, ecu, 4efte oil relocation plate.

Bit of work to put together, but have them there if your ever intersted, im in Dublin.

Cheers Mate

tbh I'd rather get the whole lot ready to go from one car. Thanks for offer though!

#6 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:43 AM

Wahey, another member of the turbo club! Keep an eye on tgtt (toyotagtturbo.com) as cars are frequently broken for spares and there's quite a few Irish there, you can typically pick up a forged engine for the price of a damaged car...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#7 Galliano

Galliano

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

Have a look on www.ukstarletclub.com might be able to find what your looking for in terms of crashed 82's. Jay (on both uksc and tgtt) usually has one in for breaking every so often :)
Posted Image

#8 Brendan Sutton

Brendan Sutton

Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

Try summerhill spares in Coolock, if i remember correctly they usually have complete 4efte engines
in stock with the accessories u'll need for a swap.

Summerhill Spares Ltd, Unit 3, Malahide Road Industrial Park, Coolock, Dublin 17. Phone: 01-8673232 | 085 1181519 | 087 2998964 |

Got a couple of parts from them before. :)

Also theres a chap in dublin selling a complete 5efhe engine with the cyno's dual runner intake for 450
which is a good price imo, if you send him a pm last time i was talking to him he had a full 4efte engine also.

5efhe engine 450

#9 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

I went to summerhill but they couldn't help. Found a guy up the road (5 mins drive) who's a GT enthusiast and has everything I need off a non-LSD 94 EP 82 so picking it up later.
This is the list of stuff I'm getting. Is anything missing?

Engine, Gearbox, Turbo, Intercooler, Plumbing.
Gear shift cables, clutch hydraulics, clutch and pedals.
Wiring loom, map sensor.

Does the inlet manifold from the 5E work or will I need that too?

Also, if anyone has any pitfalls/advice on things to look out for I'd like to hear them!

#10 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

I went to summerhill but they couldn't help. Found a guy up the road (5 mins drive) who's a GT enthusiast and has everything I need off a non-LSD 94 EP 82 so picking it up later.

Wiring loom, map sensor.

Also, if anyone has any pitfalls/advice on things to look out for I'd like to hear them!

fuel injectors.
ECU (2 plug ECU)
inlet manifold is basically the same but it would be easier to use a 4e-fte one. Saves modding the one you have.
grab exhaust if you can

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#11 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

Wiring loom, map sensor.

fuel injectors.
ECU (2 plug ECU)
inlet manifold is basically the same but it would be easier to use a 4e-fte one. Saves modding the one you have.
grab exhaust if you can

Thanks Andrew...forgot the injectors. Edit: was just talking to the guy there. He's mad to help fit it, so I might take him up on that.

#12 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

So I'm the proud owner of a 4E-FTE :) Just a quick note about the wiring. He gave me 2 complete looms one seems to be interior and one engine bay loom including the fuse box, plugs for injectors and sensor plugs. Do I take out all the old engine bay loom including fuse box and use the new one or do I splice them somewhere. Am I right in thinking one plug of the ECU is for the engine bay and one is for the interior?

Also, there seems to be a sensor that might be a crankshaft position sensor or flywheel position sensor. Is there on on this engine.

Lastly, the guy told me I'd need to get the air temperature sensor signal to the inlet manifold of the 4E-FTE. Where do I nick that signal from?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions!

Cheers.

#13 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

You don't need the looms, just one or two plugs.

air temp sensor moves from the airbox to the front of the inlet manifold. Find the wire in your spare loom and splice into the circuit.

catalyst sensor moves from roughly under the handbrake to the front of the engine - lengthen the wire.

I think the oil pressure sensor (front of block) sensor changes plug, splice in new wire.

No crankshaft / flywheel sensor.

If you're converting from auto to manual you'll have to find a 4 plug wire on the top of the gearbox, join the two thick wires together to bypass the neutral start switch and the other two are the reversing lights and these go into a plug nicked from your spare loom.

#14 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

Excellent, that clears things up a lot. Probably won't get around to doing it until next week as I'm away for the weekend. Will try to take some pics as I go!

#15 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

Excellent, that clears things up a lot. Probably won't get around to doing it until next week as I'm away for the weekend. Will try to take some pics as I go!

What are you going to do about intercoolers? If you remove the air con system, you'll need to keep the pressure sensor in the loom (somewhere around passenger headlamp) otherwise the fan keeps going all the time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users