Photo

Sydney Mechanic Suggestions For Turbo Swap?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi all,

our Sera has developed an incontinence problem and is leaking various fluids out of various orifices
(auto trans fluid, engine oil from ?rear main? seal and even oil out the exhaust pipe! (Luckily, it doesn't blow smoke, so this is probably just PCV I hope).

Anyway, after already spending $$$ on many seal & gasket replacements, and not really knowing when it might be fixed, I'm considering a 4EFTE engine swap.

Does anyone know any mechanics in Sydney that might be up to the task and do quality work?
We've had this car for 10 years and I'd honestly like to keep this car forever, so it's got to be reliable and look good.

A friend has suggested Online Performance who I've seen cars at the drag strip and I know that the Rigoli family used to do many varied engine swaps and performance cars, so I've got them on my list to contact, but if anyone can give me any recommendations, I'd be very happy to hear from you.

Cheers!
Graham.

#2 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

I've read in the past that there was someone at http://www.castlehillexhaust.com.au/ who has done lots of starlets, not sure if they do engine transplants but might be worth a call (i think this is where tim's water to air intercooler came from).

Business Name: Castle Hill Exhaust Centre
ABN: 21 117 483 075
Contact Person: Dale Heiler
Forum Username: 10sec_rx7
Email: Dale at Casltehillexhaust . com . au

#3 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hey, thanks Scuzzy - they are quite close to me so I'll definitely have a chat with them.

I spoke to Online Performance in Hoxton Park (about 20km south of me) today and they've done 5E to 4EFTE engine swaps before and in my eyes have a good rep, so they are a possibility.

So far, my ball park figures are up to $1k to make the engine reliable, $2.5k for a full engine rebuild or $5k ($3k labour) for a 4EFTE engine & trans swap.
I'm thinking of getting a engine hoist, welder, torque wrench and a couple of weeks off work and trying it myself and saving $3k. :)

#4 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

I'll be pulling my engine out in the near future myself for another bottom end re-build after goofing up some of the oil seals and discovering a bit of a wobble from my harmonic balancer. Imo if you're going for broke with a bung engine you might aswell try the re-build yourself, bit of parts and tool investmenet, but good knowledge to have imo :)

plus you can take pictures of people standing in your engine bay...

http://toyotasera.ne...13022010586.jpg :wizard:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users