14 replies to this topic

#1 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:47 PM

After a week of rain and storm my driver's side carpet is soaked.

How can I find the cause? Is there a drain hole that may be plugged? Where is it?. What should I look for that would cause water leakage to the floorboard?

Any suggestions welcome.

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ingress could be from water flung up from road wheels into cockpit via a missing grommet, or through door shuts due to a compromised seal, or a blockage in the drainage gutters causing water to find different ways out.    Often the air conditioning drainage tubes block and then that overflows into the cabin.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Car was sitting when this happened. Car has been parked under trees that lose their leaves at this time of year.

I want to look into the drainage gutters and AC tube. Where can I locate these?

#4 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

the A/C drainage tube should end up in the engine compartment if I'm not mistaken, don't know about the gutters though.

#5 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Update. Leak Solved!!
The water was coming in from the door sill.
I pulled the carpet back to the rear on the driver's side only.
I cleaned the door gutter for leaves etc.
The door seal looked fine. I took the door sill off..
I took a piece of absorbable chamois and lined the area where I thought the water was coming from..
After weeks of testing I replaced the carpet..
The passenger side was just as bad and I did the same to that side..
Funny thing was i found a yellow piece of sponge on the passenger side.. So the previous owner had did a quick fix before..
Nice and dry on both sides for now but this is a band aid fix. It seems the original seals are not sufficient..

Hope this helps someone. Anyone else had the same problem with the door seals??

#6 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Update: June 1, 2017 Solved update.

I updated Jan 2015 and it solved my problem temporarily, however it was not long and I would get 1/4" of water on the driver's floor carpet.

We have had lots of rain in last 6 months and always soaked my carpet.

By chance I wrapped a plastic ziplock bag around the sill and now I have a dry floor for last two months.

My rubber door seals are very good condition, so I have no idea how it leaks in.  No matter as the ziplock trick seems to have solved leak.

Anyone want a pic of it, let me know!

Attached Files

#7 IsettaWorld

IsettaWorld

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

Yes please, a photo would be very useful.

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

reduce file size to 5120kb or less or upload to a photo sharing site and link to it.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#9 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

Pic attached to previous post.

#10 IsettaWorld

IsettaWorld

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the pic .... all is now clear.

By "plastic ziplock"  I thought you meant "Cable tie ".

#11 Tobias

Tobias

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

Maybe the weatherstripping around the windows is failing? I'm not sure how this is solved on a Sera as I haven't taken apart a door yet, but usually there is a plastic cover behind the door's interior trim that prevents water from entering the cabin. These covers often get damaged in the process of installing new door speakers.

You could try to test this if you open the door and pour some water over the glass parts and watch where it comes out.

#12 Grasshopper2Ant

Grasshopper2Ant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

I can see the confusion as I should of indicated it was a plastic "bag".

Tobias, I know what you mean about the plastic cover.  I think that is for a "vapour barrier" for the door.

My weatherstripping is in very good shape but I will try water test at a later date.  It is dry with the plastic bag.

#13 goes2eleven

goes2eleven

Mostly Harmless

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

I have the same problem on my passenger side door. I'll try the "ziplock bag" fix until I can determine a more permanent solution.

#14 Ga tom

Ga tom

Average

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

Goes2eleven if it's the floor on the passengers side that's wet rain might be coming in from above the heater ,have someone to hold a hose pipe over the passenger side of the front windscreen and pull the carpet back and check to see if there are drips of water coming down from behind the dash if so you will need to remove the 2 wiper arms ,and the black grill ,to the left of the yellow triangle piece that holds the screen thrers a white plastic grommet that the screew goes into you will need to seal around that white gromit as the water can go straight through and into the footwell

#15 goes2eleven

goes2eleven

Mostly Harmless

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 01:28 AM

Ga tom, thanks for the advice. I should have checked it out when I had my dashboard apart to replace the o-rings in my A/C evaporator coil. What a mess! I'll try to get a write up together for that whole fiasco and post it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users