28 replies to this topic

#16 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

You should hear what people in the brake industry say "off the record" about EBC...

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#17 tristancliffe

tristancliffe

2010 Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

You should hear what people in the brake industry say "off the record" about EBC...

To be fair they don't say much. They can't, as they're laughing too hard.
www.dallara398.com - F3 Club Racing, Monoposto 2000, #1
Monoposto 2008 Classic2000 and 2010 Mono2000 Champion

#18 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:13 PM

I know its not like me to disagree with a cliffe every once in a while, but I feel I will again :D

I've quite a broad range of friends who track mainly japanese cars, and some (yes- SOME please note this does not mean all by any stretch) have reccomended EBC stuff to me, and thats what I'll be fitting soon.

I think it depends on the application myself. My overall experience from mates etc is that "EuropeanBrakeChewers" as we all them, are, as you say, dog sh!t.

Worst one I remember was a friend fitted brembo discs and greenstuff pads to a modified focus. Within 6 months the pad ripped chunks out of the disc, and everything was a mess! That was just a fast road car at the time too, no track work.

Best story is my mates old track DC2 integra ran a full year of trackdays on redstuff and EBC discs, and he had nothing but praise. They were reliable and sharp all year, although the wear rate on the pads was high- to be expected for ceramic pads I believe?

But the reason I chose them is avaliability and my mates experience on a similar car. There isn't much avaliable when i did my research, and me mate runs a track GT4 (same brakes) and he loves the EBC sport and yellowstuff combo. If they can cope with that then my old underpowered ship should be OK- thats my thinking anyway. Also a friend in the trade offered me a discount, so the price was more than favourable too.

I have had EBC discs and redstuff on the back for about 2 years now with no problems- but the rears are as underworked as a BAE CMM programmer (that'll be me then) so that doesn't count in my eyes.

I'll let you all know if I'm wrong by the way, if I find they're complete cow pat I'll be the first to admit it :) although anything will be better than my current fronts, even an anchor would be better.

Not trying to start an argument here BTW chaps, just my 2p.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyhow back on topic, so pike:

like andrew, i'll also recomend pagids, they were good for road- i had them on years ago and they seemed to have more bite than standard pads, and didnt wear particularly quickly etc.

I would normally reccomend blank discs for road use- but carteledge makes a good point there- i never thought about the grooves warming up a performance pad, nice thinking sir :)

Another is I'd say avoid crossdrilled discs. I think they'll be OK on the road, mine have (I bought them before I knew much about brakes)but I've heard horror stories of them failing / cracking. Its only AP discs which manufacture the holes where the disc keeps its integrity I believe, and they're bloody silly money.

Another one on fluid- change it and use good stuff as often as poss. Everytime I play with brakes, even if its just to set my handbrake or swap pads, I bleed new fluid through each time. If you have old fluid in then just a fluid change will incrase pedal feel quite a lot.
Used to look after a 1990 EXY10 Auto

#19 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

I would normally reccomend blank discs for road use- but carteledge makes a good point there- i never thought about the grooves warming up a performance pad, nice thinking sir :D

Sorry, I meant use blank discs to keep temps up, and avoid the groves.

I've heard the same about drilled discs, radius cracking from the holes.

#20 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:26 PM

ah right- think i mis read that then mate- i thought you meant the grooves would cause friction on the edge and therefore generate more heat ;) they certainly generate more noise, maybe thats where the energy goes :)

#21 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Quick update- fitment of european brake chewers is imminent, I hope to have them on soon. Fellow TSS sprinter Johnny milner (ex british rally champion) uses EBC yellowstuff on his sprint ST205 celica, so there's hope for these yet. Lets hope the discs are up to it too- I've only ever had EBC discs on the rear.

I reccomend black diamond discs by the way- I have them on the front and they've lasted a good 5 years or so.

#22 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:08 AM

Just an update on the EBC brakes thing. Firstly I asked duncan, the guy who prepares johnny milners sprint cars what he / they thought of the EBC yellow pads:

Yellow stuff were great - good from cold and excellent pedal rigidity, and very good bite.

Put standard pads in rear for one run in wet, to stop rears locking, but pedal was softer and they were close to overheating. Went straight back to yellowstuff for next run.

http://www.toyota-sp...s...ec&start=10

And now I have the lot fitted:
-EBC yellow stuff all round
-EBC sport discs all round
-Braided hoses all round
-refurbed callipers all round
-fresh bog standard dot4 fluid

and the brakes are great :( they have never felt so good! so much to the point I only feel I ever hit their maximum potential once on track last saturday. Please note this also shows how worn the old setup was. Will report back to say how they are holding up.

#23 Bboi

Bboi

WHOOOP-SIEEE !!

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

*Feels Lame* - all that jargon went right over my head. BUT, i'm told I need new pads, mine are ready for changing, so umm, could someone just gimmie a direct link to the item i need to buy for standard road use ? i'll get it done while it's in getting the crank seals done; be nice to just roll into the garage with all the bits I / they ... need.

I believe the spark plugs are a different size on the sera ? what do i ask for ? :(

Thx
My Personal Sera Fan Site (live but still adding stuff - dive in tho if you fancy)
"People will stare... so make it worth their while."

#24 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

Standard pads are fine, the mechanic can get these when he changes them over.

If you want uprated ones though, I went for Mintex 1144 from here:

http://www.starletgt...o.co.uk/25.html

Oh, and spark plugs are 3-5 each at Toyota, but if you want uprated I went for NGK Iridium, should be on the above website.
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#25 Bboi

Bboi

WHOOOP-SIEEE !!

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

Yeah i'll probably got for the uprated ones. Cheers Pike :) I'll get em ordered asap.

Spark plugs - 28 quid - is that for just 1 ?? - whats the deal with the heat ranges ? :(
My Personal Sera Fan Site (live but still adding stuff - dive in tho if you fancy)

#26 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:16 PM

Bear in mind I'm using uprated ones because they have a turbo to fight with, in a standard sera you might find them a bit keen, may increase the chances of locking up as well.
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#27 Bboi

Bboi

WHOOOP-SIEEE !!

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Bear in mind I'm using uprated ones because they have a turbo to fight with, in a standard sera you might find them a bit keen, may increase the chances of locking up as well.

Ahh,ok, so standard pads, and the garage can get em anywhere, just regular parts... cool :(

#28 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

oh, and I paid 50 for a set of four, so I think that must be for the set, and I got a bit shripped. doh.

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#29 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

some fast road pads here for next to nothing

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...r...:1|240:1318

2 user(s) are reading this topic