7 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Front wings, front guards, front fenders - whatever you choose to call them, are in short supply.

Toyota can no longer provide new ones and secondhand ones usually have a significant amount of rust.

Repair is possible, but requires some skilled metal shaping skills which some people do not have access to.

Reproduction is possible...

Making them from metal is financially unviable, but making them from fibreglass or carbon fibre is possible and there may be other forms of plastic which could be affordable. 

Fibreglass:

I have had quote to make moulds - £ 775.00 per wing.   

From that mould each wing made would cost £ 175

plus taxes and shipping costs.

Carbon Fibre

as above but each wing likely to be double that (not discussed)

Plastics

not discussed.

I will require assistance to fund any reproduction project.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Emma Cliffe Holistic Massage (wife's new business) ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:21 PM

I'm getting quotes from other moulding firms, but lowest price is not the over-riding factor in the final decision.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Emma Cliffe Holistic Massage (wife's new business) ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 vwant

vwant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Happy to contribute to mould cost once decision has been made to get this project under way even though i don't need new wings at present.

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:13 AM

Update:

Company one says it would take 4-6 weeks from order to having the moulds finished, and then probably another fortnight for the first pair to come through.

A second company has quoted, based on photographs has quoted a substantially higher price for mould making, but the unit cost is then a little bit lower.

#5 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

Company 1

Mould cost - £ 775.00 per side
Part cost - £ 175.00 per side

Company 2
Mould cost - £2,500 per side
Part cost - £ 140 per side

Company 3 - said too busy to take on the work
Mould cost - £ 500 per side
Part cost - £ 125 per side

Company 4 - too busy, declined to quote

Company 5 
Mould cost - £ 300 per side
Part cost - £ 100 per side

Companies 6, 7 & 8 - haven't replied.

All figures plus VAT and carriage.

#6 Ga tom

Ga tom

Average

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:24 PM

Hi Andrew the prices seem very vered have you seen any of the work that these companies have produced ? Company 5 would be great if you could see the quality beforehand, I have wondered if the wings would need to be made in two parts and then joined together because of the section that go's behind the wing by the A pillar. I would be prepaired to chip in with the cost but I think we would need a number of members to do the same to bring the costs down for all of us to benefit 

#7 vwant

vwant

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

Ga Tom. You are right about the wings having to be made in two sections. If you look at an original steel wing it is also made in two pieces as its not possible to press it out in one. When i took the wing to company 1 they also commented on this and said they would need to do something similar.

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

OK.    I thought its about time to get things moving.

To that effect I have set up a crowdfunding page which can be viewed here: https://gofund.me/f77eb4ca

I looked at several crowdfunding sites, and most would keep up to 5% of the pledged total in addition to taking a modest fee at the donation stage which were all very similar to each other. The system chosen is 0% fee for small donations.

Out of the various companies considered, I saw photographs of moulds and panels. The cheapest looked to be the cheapest for a reason, the mouldings were nowhere near as neatly made as the more expensive options. That is shown in the trimming of the panels as well as general fit and finish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users