47 replies to this topic

#1 Macewindu

Macewindu

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

Greetings from a yank in america. been doing some research on the Sera lately and have come to the conclusion that it is a great novelty idea. that said, there are some obvious problems not the least of which being the steering wheels on the wrong side of the road...lol. so the two options are to either switch the steering column over to the "right" (left) side, or drive around like a mailman.

probably gonna do more research on the legality of right-handed vehicles in the US of A. does anyone in america have this kind of car?

#2 TheBauer

TheBauer

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

There was a dude selling one in florida not so long back, cant remember the guys name. i dont think his had the steering wheel swapped over though.

#3 Macewindu

Macewindu

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:47 AM

There was a dude selling one in florida not so long back, cant remember the guys name. i dont think his had the steering wheel swapped over though.

ya the steering wheels no a real problem, kinda adds to the cool japanese aspect. im just saying. the main problem with importing is that the shipping cost might exceed the value of the darn thing..

#4 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

True, but if you want a Sera in America, being economical about it has already flown out the window :wizard:

#5 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

I think there's a Yellow Sera on www.cardomain.com with a Left Hand Drive conversion done. Don't know if it was in the U.S. though.

#6 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

This is the converted Sera, I just don't know where all the photos have gone to.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2482602

#7 Macewindu

Macewindu

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

at the same time, it may be better to import a pos from japan, and give it a paint job (a japanimation paint job). my basic, pathetic search revealed no more than like 5 owners in the USA, so the chance of getting one close to home is near impossible.

also, for someone who has never driven one, is it similar in fell to like my '99 honda civic?

#8 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

There are very few in the USA due to laws restricting imports, though I think it has become easier, or people have been finding loopholes, as there seem to be one or two over there these days.

Importing has been much harder of late over here because the yen has done much better than the pound in the recession, the dollar did fare better though and looking at the price on that red US sera, importing may well be the best option.

I wouldn't worry about a LHD conversion myself, it's a big job and you'll get used to having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Plus excellent prank potential:

Dunno how it compares to a civic, but they're generally great things to drive. They don't corner brilliantly on standard suspension but I don't suppose that's much of an issue in America...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Getting a Sera in the US got easier as the cars entered Canada under their 15 year rule, and US/Canada have some sort of cross border licensing agreement.

However I think getting a Sera into Canada is now harder as they don't have the correct markings on the headlamps.

Not entirely sure, but thats the basic gist.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#10 Macewindu

Macewindu

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

They don't corner brilliantly on standard suspension but I don't suppose that's much of an issue in America...

Wat. dont you think we've got maniac drivers in america? cuz we do (actually, youre talking to one...)

Getting a Sera in the US got easier as the cars entered Canada under their 15 year rule, and US/Canada have some sort of cross border licensing agreement.

Im pretty sure that only works if youre a citizen in canada, which i am not. ive also heard that there is a 25 year rule in america, but i think that may have changed. also, i wonder customs has to inspect your vehicle to see that meets state and emissions inspections, and if it doesnt then you either fix it, export it, or destroy it (and they could have my dead body b4 id destroy a car like that).

Also saw somewhere, that someone had a pict of a nice bright yellow sera with a chrome "Lamborghini" emblem on the back...thats totally awesome. either that or get a custom chrome "Wild Wing" and paint the car orange after the Daisy's car in Mario Kart.

#11 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Oh it's not that, American roads tend to be very straight compared to european roads, American cars like mustangs are notorious for not handling brilliantly because they're not really built for the kind of winding roads we get over here...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#12 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Ha, Oh dear ;)

#13 Bustago

Bustago

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

They don't corner brilliantly on standard suspension but I don't suppose that's much of an issue in America...

Wat. dont you think we've got maniac drivers in america? cuz we do (actually, youre talking to one...)

Im pretty sure that only works if youre a citizen in canada, which i am not. ive also heard that there is a 25 year rule in america, but i think that may have changed. also, i wonder customs has to inspect your vehicle to see that meets state and emissions inspections, and if it doesnt then you either fix it, export it, or destroy it (and they could have my dead body b4 id destroy a car like that).

Also saw somewhere, that someone had a pict of a nice bright yellow sera with a chrome "Lamborghini" emblem on the back...thats totally awesome. either that or get a custom chrome "Wild Wing" and paint the car orange after the Daisy's car in Mario Kart.

No offense but making a bonkers sera wouldn't really (in my opinion) be the greatest thing because, completley mental sera's like you described tend to look a bit to over the top, and make the owner look kind of "phallus Minimus". Plus you would have to think of resale, you would be selling a car with the steering wheel on the correct side in a country that drives on the wrong side, and also the American's appear to prefer something quite tame, and boring. But I suggest at least test driving a sera to see whether you fall in love with the car before you buy!

#14 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Tame and boring? two words dude - muscle cars.

Nonetheless, I agree Seras are best left unmolested bar for perhaps a turbo conversion, nicer wheels and such. Especially in america where you'll never see another one, there's completely no need to try and individualise it...

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#15 Macewindu

Macewindu

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

oh absolutely. im considering doing an internship over in japan with college in the next few years, so i may pick up a car while im over there. im not just gonna buy a car without testdriving it first, thats a lot of money to blow. i really dont expect an enormous amount of fun out of it... probably a similar experience as my 1.5 Honda Civic.

resale value is not a concern for me. since the steering wheel is on the wrong side in a country which drives on the right (correct..;) ) side of the road, i dont believe that anyone would want it. plus, having gone through all the trouble to get it over here, i wouldnt wanna let it go unless i got an offer i couldnt refuse.

"the american's appear to prefer something quite tame, and boring" --- huh? i dont know wat thats supposed to mean, but im not an "america's" or watever. i dont care wat everyone else wants im just looking for a cheap, fun, little novelty car. something to tinker around with.

i also appreciate your view with regard to leaving the car virgin as opposed to messing it all up. as a connoisseur of seras i would expect that from folks from this forum would have that opinion. still, since its distinctly different from any other cars here, it would seem much more fun to customize it. that way, you wont look like every other beer-budget honda with a weird paint job and a stupid muffler upgrade. you will actually have a car with a unique look. its also novel enough that, if in theory you pulled the decals, no one would really know it was a toyota.

EDIT: looks like you got under my post pike...lol. again i understand ur point. but i may still "individualize" it more than it already is...but we'll see...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users