#1 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi guys,

I know this isn't the correct region but it seems some places are left out!

Anyway, I thought I'd introduce myself first before asking all sorts of stupid questions.

My name is Peter and since a few day's I'm the proud owner of a phase I Sera in the color "grellow"

It really needs a good clean, especially the interior!

Also, I'm after a fit bits and pieces and I hope to find them here since even in Japan where I usually get all the cool stuff for my Corolla AE92 GTi there aren't that many parts available for the Sera.

I'm still trying to find out how to post pictures to this forum but I guess photobucket and the like is the best option?

Cheers,

Peter

#2 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hello Peter

Depends on the size of images, IMO I hate photobucket, their website and interface is horrible. I often use imgur.com for pictures when I don't care about adding them to albumbs etc.

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'd prefer if people could use Flickr / Photobucket or other image hosting services to host images.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

There aren't many Seras in The Netherlands - I knew of one (because I sold it), but that car's now moved to the USA.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#5 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Welcome to the forum Peter! Let us know what parts you need, I'm sure someone will have them. If not, we'll know where you can get them.

#6 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Alright then, a few pics from the state the car was in when I bought it:

830376_10151322852259423_926150343_o_zps

858450_10151322852854423_444007118_o_zps

858737_10151322852579423_1810966212_o_zp

830288_10151322852949423_886273585_o_zps

#7 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Very nice - best colour too :)

#8 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well, spend this week removing the old, cracked stickers from the inside of the door glass, mounted some new speakers since the old ones were completely destroyed.

I replaced the rear boot struts and the door/window moulding with some new ones.

Swapped the wheels for a set of 15" BSA racing 5-spoke's.

Vacuumed the interior and used one of those A/C "bombs" to try and remove the smell of 20 years of nicotine.

Replaced some interior bulbs and destroyed my warning light switch cover in the process.

Ordered the switch, both rectangular heater registers and 2 new handbrake cables for the rear disc setup.

Plenty left do do, but that's for another week or so!

#9 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

To me it looks like I'm missing part of a side trim on the bottom of the rear glass. Can someone confirm this?

Here's the picture of mine:

SeraRearglass_zps63334e54.jpg

Toyota doesn't list any part numbers for any trim pieces connected to the rear glass so if I'm missing some, does anyone have these and are willing to part with them?

#10 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Looks exactly the same as mine

#11 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

That looks correct.  Its just to duct rainwater way from the trims

#12 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hmmm ok, it looked to me there should be another drainage strip between the spoiler and the "corner" of the glass (near the logo).

#13 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

They do look like there's a piece missing, but trust us, they're all that way

#14 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

OK so this week I had some more time to spend with the Sera.

It drove quite good from the day i bought it but it wasn't very easy on petrol to say the least. I had to do my very best to get 1 liter to 12 km and regardless of how I drove, it would smell like petrol / oil whenever I parked somewhere.

I decided a basic engine tune up would do no harm so out with the timing light and the "special tool" for shorting the diagnostic terminals. Idle was a bit high as well when warm (1200 rpm) so I also wanted to sort that out.

Well, to start: Timing was way off, without the terminals bridged it was only 10 deg BDC, someone obvious adjusted the timing without bridging the terminals...

Next problem: Idle speed.

I checked all vacuum hoses for cracks but although some ends started to tear they were only on the very end outside of the pipe so no leak through there. (will be getting new ones anyway)

I checked the Idle speed valve (at the opposite end of the throttle body and that one was working OK. Nevertheless I took it out and gave it a nice clean with some degreaser and cotton swabs. new O-ring and opens and closes just fine.

At this point I tried adjusting the idle speed screw but that one was already completely screwed in!

Next suspect were the aircon VSV's. My A/C isn't working so I figured maybe one of these VSV's is stuck open, even when switched off. I disconnected all 3 lines from the T/B & manifold and capped them off but to no avail.

Then I noticed the cold idle control valve under the throttle body. On the 4A-GE, these will accumulate all sorts of gunk, especially if oil and coolant have touched at some point. There are 2 coolant hoses going to this valve, one was hot and the other.... only slightly over ambient temperature. My money is on this valve but I will pick up some new gaskets from the dealership tomorrow before I try and take it apart.

It's a nice opportunity to flush the complete system with fresh water and fill it up with some nice new coolant as well. 

Thinking of doing oil and filters as well, and get myself some new plugs. Dizzy rotor and cap have already been ordered.

Will do a compression test and a leak-down test tomorrow while I'm at it!
Results will be available here once I'm finished with her!

#15 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, after an oil change and coolant flush, I took the throttle body off the manifold to inspect the cold idle valve.

wasn't all that bad gunked up when I took it apart.

Tested it while submersing in hot water and the thermostat inside did move but I couldn't test if the valve would close completely.

Idle speed screw and passages were more mucky so I cleaned those as well.

After fitting it back and firing up the engine I set off again to adjust idle (after letting the radiator fan kick in to make sure it registers warm) Still with the diagnostic terminals bridged, A/C, lights, fan ect off I cannot get it any lower then 1000 / 1100 RPM This is with the idle speed screw completely fastened.

Then I took the air pipe off and blocked the vacuum hole for the cold idle valve and the engine died within 1 or 2 seconds. Is this valve suppose to shut off completely when warm? If so, mine certainly doesn't! (or I'm experiencing an air lock in the thermostat of the valve. How would I bleed that?) The auxiliary air valve (according to my 4A-GE manual) should let the RPM drop when cold (while blocking the port) and only let the RPM drop 100 RPM maximum when warm. So I guess is isn't meant to close completely but I think mines is still faulty.

Will see if I can get another cold idle valve (or auxiliary air valve if you want to call it that)

Compression was 14.5 bar on cyl# 1 and 15 bar on cyl# 2,3 & 4 This could be due to valve clearance, I didn't had time to check that. Anyway, the values are close enough to each other,

Furthermore she got a new dizzy rotor and cap and a new PCV valve and grommet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users