15 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

We've been trying to fit on-board camera system to the Reynard F3 car.

Dogcam have been assisting us and I have to say their service has been excellent.

For example, the wiring for our camera was chafed through due to the rubbing of a panel against the cable at speed. Dogcam repaired it FOC even though it was not a warranty issue.

We also took a bit of a gamble with our recorder as I wanted the higher bit-rate recording of one recorder over another, despite knowing it may suffer from vibrations. When it was proven that it wouldn't record with the engine running - either due to electrical interference or micro-vibrations - the engine on a F3 car is rigidly mounted to the cockpit without any rubber bushes or mounts to damp out vibrations, and they swapped it out for a much better piece of kit and they pricematched against the cheapest supplier in the UK (who didn't actually have what we wanted in stock...)

We've also had a small problem with the camera as part of the electronics have come loose inside the camera - they're also swapping this out for a much better camera FOC, on the proviso they can have some sample footage for their website.

So, if you want to add a bullet camera system to a car, bike, husky sled, or whatever, I'd whole heartedly recommend Mark Nelson at DogCamSport - www.dogcamsport.co.uk

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Yeah i have had one for about 10 months

it's not a bad bit of kit ;)
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

You've got the Mobibox haven't you?

We're using the PDR-100 which takes a compact flash card, and they are swapping our existing camera over to a Sony HQ-1

Our recorder works in MPEG-2 rather than MPEG-4 which is a different compression technique and gives near DVD quality footage on a TV

Most of the other recorders don't have remote control functions, or require line of site. However the PDR-100 Chasecam system uses an RJ45 connector, so you just butcher one end of an old ethernet cable and make your own fixed dashboard switch ;)

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

i use the mobie box or my Laptop (with soild state HDD in it)

the mobie box work well enough most of the time.

the nice thing with my set up is i dont have to worry about extra weight on the car ;)

#5 tristancliffe

tristancliffe

2010 Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

i use the mobie box or my Laptop (with soild state HDD in it)

the mobie box work well enough most of the time.

the nice thing with my set up is i dont have to worry about extra weight on the car ;)

I don't think any onboard camera is going to make a difference in terms of weight - a few grams in a tonne of car is nothing.

Our camera system, which is MPEG2, is hi-res, good quality and light.

Wasn't the mobibox discontinued because it was rubbish?
www.dallara398.com - F3 Club Racing, Monoposto 2000, #1
Monoposto 2008 Classic2000 and 2010 Mono2000 Champion

#6 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

I ment the extra weight of the recorder unit... i know the cams weight f**k all

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

Some people still sell the Mobibox and I think for what it is, is good enough many people. The problem comes that many of these recording devices originate from China, and whilst they can build things down to a price, maybe quality isn't as good or the supplies, surprise surprise (tongue twister) is a bit hit and miss.

Weight wasn't a particular issue, space was. The options were to put the recorder in a sidepod where it would need remote activation, something impossible to do via Infra red remote controls, and most didn't accept a cable driven remote. In the end its in cockput, underneath the drivers knees, next to the fire extinguisher gubbins.

Camcorder systems that accept a bullet cam are few and far between, and they all suffer from vibrations.
Hard Drive digital recorders suffer from vibration, solid state is only way to go for a single seater racing car. For a road car this is not as critical.

Of the solid state recorders, many have a fairly low bitrate which means the footage is quite heavily compressed, and only a few have remote controls.

Anyway this thread is really to give a big three cheers to Dogcam. ;)

#8 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

OK,
I will admit that when I clicked on this thread I was expecting a link to a webcam attached to a dog !

I'm so low tech !

Sounds like an impressive bit of kit, and a first class service from them too.
Nice one Dogcam !

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I did think of adding my bluetooth GPS receiver (about size of matchbook) to my cats collar and watching it on my Satnav screen - following an article in the Saturday Telegraph by James May - Catnav. :P

#10 MrsB

MrsB

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

"I will admit that when I clicked on this thread I was expecting a link to a webcam attached to a dog !"

So did I!

#11 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

"I will admit that when I clicked on this thread I was expecting a link to a webcam attached to a dog !"

So did I!

Thankyou ! I was getting lonely sitting in the corner on my own ! :thumbsup: :wizard:

#12 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

Either my mind works a little differently or this flu is having fun with my mind, but I was expecting some story about a camshaft.

#13 Burnot

Burnot

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'm getting a dash cam in my car too, just after I got the box installed I went out to see how it monitored my driving and I got cut off by some lady and had to drive onto the sidewalk to avoid hitting her car! 

Would be nice to have a recording of stuff like that so I can report idiots like that.

#14 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,896 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Your message above appears on lots of sites - that exact wording - but no link for search engines to pick up on?

#15 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Spam?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users