84 replies to this topic

#76 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

that's a mighty fine looking Sera Gary !

#77 Kevin Wadsworth

Kevin Wadsworth

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

My Sera had the Vulcans already fitted when I bought it. After my accident I had to replace one of them. They're damn expensive (300 each).

I noticed these on e-bay. You can have 4 alloys, complete with brand new tyres, locking nuts, valve sleeves and fitting kit, for the same price of one one Vulcan. They have a similar look to them too. What do you think ????

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...O...A1|240:1318

Kev

#78 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Cheap ebay alloys are dangerous - there was a load of pics of smashed rims on a thread on TGTT, can't bloody find them now...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#79 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:34 PM

Yes, cheap alloys are dangerous. They're also normally much heavier than a higher quality wheel and less strong. The worst are the counterfeit wheels which are replica Rays or other expensive brands. They're the worst.

A cheap wheel and tyre package will probably come with crap tyres as well. Nankang Hedgehunters or something similar.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#80 YraggarY

YraggarY

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

Cheers Rich! It'll be better looking when I polish it all up, fit some brand spanking new alloys and fix up those headlights! Thinking of going for new parts wherever money permits, I'd rather gradually freshen it up with new OEM parts rather than using second hand and having to do the same thing again a bit down the road!

Kevin, 300 per alloy?! :blink: That's scandalous! Looks like Fox may be getting my business after all! B) Thanks for the link, but I really like the double spoked look of the Vulcans. I did a quick search and came up with this: Alloys
Set of 4 for 300 (+125 shipping to Ireland) which brings it up to roughly E500, then the cost (and fitting) of some good quality tyres.. I guess I'm looking at about E900..
I think I'll wait 'til my money situation improves a bit, just go for cheapish Fox / Wolfrace alloys for the moment, perhaps these. Ideally in 16's. I can pick them up cheap enough from a few places over here, with decent brand name tyres on them too. Cheers for all the help though Kev! :thumbsup:

And Don't_tell_him_pike, thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

Andrew, do you reckon Fox alloys are safe enough? I just want something for the time being instead of having the steel wheels on. :help:

Thanks guys!!
Proud new owner of a '93 Phase III Toyota Sera, 68,000 kms; poppy red colour but we can't win 'em all! :P

"Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering." - R. Buckminster Fuller

My Sera in the Garage!

#81 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

I'd imagine they're ok, its the unbranded versions or branded ones at bargain prices that you've got to be careful of.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#82 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Cheap ebay alloys are dangerous - there was a load of pics of smashed rims on a thread on TGTT, can't bloody find them now...

Were they damaged from general city driving or launching around a track? I've seen photos of cheap knock off rims compleatly snapping in the middle at a track, but cheap alloys around town breaking would be impressive :thumbsup:

#83 YraggarY

YraggarY

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'd imagine they're ok, its the unbranded versions or branded ones at bargain prices that you've got to be careful of.

Excellent, I'll go with the Wolfrace so, thanks Andrew! :blink:

Were they damaged from general city driving or launching around a track? I've seen photos of cheap knock off rims compleatly snapping in the middle at a track, but cheap alloys around town breaking would be impressive :thumbsup:

Scuzzy, you're going to have to come try the roads over here. We've got potholes in some of our major towns that.. well.. let's just say I wouldn't want to be driving around in a Smart Fortwo. Chances are, the entire car would topple into the aforementioned "our tax dollars at work" potholes. :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of a '93 Phase III Toyota Sera, 68,000 kms; poppy red colour but we can't win 'em all! :P

"Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering." - R. Buckminster Fuller

My Sera in the Garage!

#84 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

There would seem to be a problem with comments not showing, but appearing in the vehicle list.

Such as Blasters car: http://www.omicron.u...e...by=&start=8
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#85 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

Yeah for some reason the comments table got compleatly lost, dunno why it was the only one, but all the counts are now wrong ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users