35 replies to this topic

#16 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

I'm working on how to remove the google adverts for those who opt for a premium membership.

I've fixed the attachment quota (I think)

Scuzzy - do you still have moderator rights?

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#17 ace_dynamo

ace_dynamo

"I'm special"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

Cheers Andrew - didn't realise we were supposed to have more than 512k, thought it seemed a bit of a harsh limit :lol:
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationery...that's what gets you!"

Want to learn to dance? See if I teach in an area near you www.want-to-dance.co.uk

#18 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

Scuzzy - do you still have moderator rights?

Yes, I still do, and since I no longer appear in the moderators list, just no one will know who nor what will be making their posts dissapear! :lol:*

Edit: oh and yes, the attachment quota is not restored (You have used 3.14mb of 50mb)

* :lol:

#19 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:31 PM

The Google adverts, love them or loathe them bring in a small but regular advertising stream which is sufficient to pay the sites general running costs.

Not everyone likes them - although I keep them at the bottom of the page where they're out of the way.

Premium memberships are available which include the following features:
- removal of the Google adverts
- a larger PM message box (up to 500 messages)
- ability to upload more files to the forum
- bypassing of search flood control
and various other things as and when I think of them / find out how to do them
- snazzy orange colour on the members online listing

Other sites give premium members their own forums, but I think all the information should be accessable by all so this is not something I'll be adding.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#20 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Sorted the adverts.

I used

<if="ipb.member['mgroup']<>'8'">
 <!-- display no adverts -->
<else>
 <!-- ad code goes here -->
</if>

I'm trying to get it so that moderators and admins are included but can't figure out the Boolean (?) logic.

<if="ipb.member['mgroup']=='8' || ipb.member['mgroup']=='4' || ipb.member['mgroup']=='6'"> ?

member group 8 is special members, member group 4 is admin and member group 6 is moderators.

Settled on: <if="ipb.member['mgroup']!='4' AND ipb.member['mgroup']!='6' AND ipb.member['mgroup']!='8'">

#21 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

The google ads didn't bother me at all, while as the adrian flux ones are a nasty green, mess up the top of the page even at 1024x768 (on black crystals layout) and animated banners always annoy me.
Given the choice, I'd prefer to keep the google ones and lose the flux ones.
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#22 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

OK, I take your point. I've just downsized my screens to 1024x768 and fixed the image issue.

I'll see what I can do about an alternative header logo that is less green.

#23 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

Would this be a more appropriate image for the darker skins?

Flux have paid for advertising, so I can't hide it, but I can tweak it to fit a theme better.

Converted to a greyscale and a longer delay between frames (15 seconds)

#24 martin

martin

Business as usual

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

personally the ads dont bother me at all. if they bring in some dosh for you A im all for them
1990 Sera for sale! :-(!!!

#25 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

On another forum I've paid to remove ads, I rather like that approach if its available, and the Adrian Flux ad is no good to me since I live in Australia :lol:

#26 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:31 AM

No good to me either, seeing as they quoted me about 4000, compared to 1900 from tesco. Breakdown cover does seem tempting though, not that the Seras ever broken down...

The black version does look a lot nicer.
Would also be good if the page with the pic of a sera on is the default one, seeing as my other pc blocks animations. I think its the phone no. page that it sticks on at the mo...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#27 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:24 AM

Funds raised from the premium subscription will also pay for the vinyl advertising banner suggested by Gav, that could be taken to the various shows around the UK, including JAE.

#28 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:13 AM

No good to me either, seeing as they quoted me about 4000, compared to 1900 from tesco.

4000 to insure a sera? :blink: :D :P

#29 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

How about:

Premium members: Adrian flux logo moved to where the google adverts were at the bottom of the page

Ordinary members: Flux logo at top, google ads at bottom

I think I can do this easily enough with some <if> and <else> commands.

#30 MORTY

MORTY

Automan

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

fully paid up now :thumbsup: must have missed this post

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users