7 replies to this topic

#1 RichardBuss

RichardBuss

Harmless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

I bought an auto Sera in the summer to replace the manual on I had before. The manuals bodywork was getting very rough. The problem is I loved the manual. It was ressponsive quiet and very economical in comparison with the auto.
FYI... manual did about 42mpg and auto more like 32.
Has anyone converted an auto to manual?

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Yes.

You need:

donor gearbox

flywheel 

clutch 

clutch slave cylinder

clutch master cylinder

clutch pipework

clutch pedal

brake pedal (narrow one)

gear linkage cables

gear shifter 

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 RichardBuss

RichardBuss

Harmless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:32 PM

Hello!
I have all of it! How big a job is it to do the swap?

Thanks for your reply..

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

Not too difficult.    Most difficult aspect is drilling the three holes through the bulkhead in the correct position for the clutch master cylinder as the inlet manifold is quite close to the bulkhead.    When I've done it the engine was also out for other reasons.   

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#5 RichardBuss

RichardBuss

Harmless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

The issue I have is I am not capable of doing the work myself (but at least I know it!)
Any idea how many hours work we are looking at if I get quotes?
My options are to sell both cars and leave my Sera life behind or find someone to do the work for me which probably means losing the second car.
I really am not getting on with the auto. I’m just too tall for it and the lower back pains I had with my previous auto have returned. Manual wasn’t such a problem for some reason!
I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Many thanks, Richard

#6 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

If you have all the bits and whoever is doing it has access to a lift, then I would consider dropping the gearbox out and to remove the inlet manifold, which requires access from underneath as well.    That should give sufficient room for someone with a right angle drill to get in there to drill the three holes through the bulkhead.

I would allow two working days from start to finish, and all being well should be completed within that time.     Some information on the process is already on this site, but if required I could (for a modest charge) do a write-up which should assist whoever is doing it and will probably save more time in hourly rate than the cost of the report.

#7 RichardBuss

RichardBuss

Harmless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:23 AM

Hello! So I could look for someone to do the work advising them that it’s a 2 day job. That’s really helpful thank you.
I think I should check that anyone prepared to quote for the work has experience with similar jobs.
While doing the job are there any other parts you would advise renewing?
Your modest charge... how modest?
Huge thanks as always, Richard

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:24 PM

With the engine and gearbox out then its easier.  I've always done it as part of an engine swap at the same time - but there is room to do all the work if the inlet manifold is removed.

Modest charge - well it would probably take me a couple of hours to write up and photograph things, so I'd say £ 50 - but it may well save you £ 50 at the other end.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users