Photo

Low Beam Pattern Reversal (converting Headlamps For European / Us / Canada Traffic)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bdwernychuk

bdwernychuk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

I realize that over here in the colonies we're a bit backward in that we drive on the right side of the road but that's how it is.

The problem is that the Sera's low beam "kick up" is (naturally) on the left, which means my low (dip) beam dazzles oncoming drivers. I'd like to reverse the beam pattern so the kick up is on the right. This might just be a simple matter of locating and reversing a mask inside the projector unit. Has anyone had the low beam projector units apart? Any opinions on whether what I want to do can be done?
Barry Dwernychuk
Vancouver, Canada
Sera 6890
1990 Mica Blue Auto ABS
(Our 2nd Sera)

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:53 AM

i have some info from someone who has done this. i'll find it

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Info copied from email sent to me in March 2002

Hello Andrew,

I.. Headlights, it basically it comes down to what I thought:

a ) Disassemble the light (heat to 40-60 C) assembly. Instructions HERE

b ) The lens of the light itself is not directional, it's the metal mask between the H3C bulb and the lens. There is a triangle to create the specific beam pattern. You simply have to remove the unit, disassemble and cut the triangle on the other side and use the cut white metal piece or aluminum and epoxy this on the other side (otherwise you have dual side dipped beams). Axel did this on one side already. Being precise on the gluing and grinding of the mask is the other critical part. Good Araldite epoxy will handle the heat & vibration. (see photos below)

c ) Re-assemble using heat & the special Loctite glue for headlamp assembly.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Attached Files

#5 darknscaryman

darknscaryman

X-man hehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:06 PM

I dont understand :thumbsup:. Is one side brighter than the other or something?
wildsexman@hotmail.com

#6 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:10 PM

Headlamps dip one way or another to prevent you dazzling on coming traffic too much and to light the kerb slightly better. Park up against a wall at night and see.

Canada drives on the wrong side of the road to Japan, the UK and Australia, so they have to modify their headlamps.

#7 darknscaryman

darknscaryman

X-man hehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:14 PM

I seriously never knew that! Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
wildsexman@hotmail.com

#8 bdwernychuk

bdwernychuk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for that, Andrew. It is as simple as I thought (except for the bit about aligning the masks).
Barry Dwernychuk
Vancouver, Canada
Sera 6890
1990 Mica Blue Auto ABS
(Our 2nd Sera)

#9 FMuscle

FMuscle

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:35 AM

Does anybody have more pics of what pieces to cut and invert?

DSC05212a.jpg

#10 Firewarden

Firewarden

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:38 AM

Only problem in British Columbia Canada, the headlight has to be stamped DOT or SAE or they won't pass it, even if you reversed the beam pattern.

#11 canadian sera

canadian sera

Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

Only problem in British Columbia Canada, the headlight has to be stamped DOT or SAE or they won't pass it, even if you reversed the beam pattern.

I live in alberta and what my friend and I did was go to a junk yard and get some light baskets and then a couple headlights that match and are canadian ( dot) and fit them in took about 2 hrs if I remember right. Good luck and keep trying you can make it work

#12 jim graham

jim graham

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

Sounds like a Canadian requirement. Interesting. Guess all the Skylines pouring into Canada have to do the same thing? Might be a screw adjustment for them. The Sera is unique in many ways, headlights being one of them.

Good mod to know if you have to do it.

#13 goes2eleven

goes2eleven

Mostly Harmless

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Firewarden,

I realize this is an old post, but could you possibly swap in a similar headlight? Like from a 1st gen Previa.

I'm not sure about the dimensions, and I'm sure it would take a little body work, but they look similar in size.

That would at least give you the DOT stamp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users