• 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'm gonna go for 5EFTE on my Sera.so far here are the parts I'm gonna use

ARP Connecting rod bolts
Injectors-550cc
Walbro fuel pump-255
ACT Clutch kit
Greddy Trust Intercooler
WEPR turbo kit(FMIC,T4 turbo,external w/gate,down pipe+screamer & other piping)
WEPR exhaust(from down pipe to muffler)
What happens when you cross the line between car and fashion accessory?
In Toyota's case the result was the Sera

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

You'll need a sump from a Starlet Turbo, or put the oil feed into the existing one

oil filter relocator

if the turbo has water cooling, the starlet turbo thermostat housing.

map sensor

uprated clutch

different radiator.

You may need to remove the air conditioning to get a bit turbo fitted as there is a lot less room in a Sera than in a Starlet. I'd carefully check WEPR stuff as well, I've seen several manifolds and found the quality to be poor.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Might need forged rods too, depending on what power you're after, otherwise you could bend the standard ones if bhp is too high. However, you'll need to notch the block at the bottom of the cylinders, otherwise the rods will foul. You can get AC to fit if you go for a Honda Civic half rad, but you will need to create new mounting points on the body. Make sure you get a FMIC that fits the current body, rather than modify the body to suit. And carefully route the piping, you don't want to shut the bonnet after all that hard work and end up putting a dent in it!!

Not sure if you need the Starlet crank pulley as well, I think it's different to the Sera one.

Have a search on the Toyota GT Turbo website TGTT, a few on there have done 5EFTE builds (slightly different for Starlets, but still useful info).

#4 steed

steed

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

sounds like fun. i'll be watching this build thread with interest, i was going to turbo the paseo before i whipped up the ITB's. i went as far as to acquire a TD04 turbo kit (manifold, recon'd turbo and de-cat downpipe), the starlet oil filter re-locator, some sera 5E-FHE rods as the paseo ones are very high milage and i'd not want to put boost on them. even got hold of a GT4 fuel pump to straight swap the original for the fueling demands.
now all that lot is just sitting dormant in the garage, gathering dust.

also i did the research and (if your going to use the standard GT turbo ECU as the glanza one has a different pin congratulation) you can safely run it on 310-330 cc injectors. more commonly those found in the 1G-GTE engine, or the later 7M-GTE engines (they are lime green in colour) as these are top feed and will plug and play with a starlet/sera fuel rail.

for ARP nuts/bolts try Fensport.com

#5 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

You'll need a sump from a Starlet Turbo, or put the oil feed into the existing one

oil filter relocator

if the turbo has water cooling, the starlet turbo thermostat housing.

map sensor

uprated clutch

different radiator.

You may need to remove the air conditioning to get a bit turbo fitted as there is a lot less room in a Sera than in a Starlet. I'd carefully check WEPR stuff as well, I've seen several manifolds and found the quality to be poor.

looking for starlet fte sump,heard its much easier and better to use it as it is than plumbing the oil feed to the fhe pan.
Also for the oil filter relocator,I found the standard oil filter relocator from a busted engine,so that part is ok,but have to check the turbo thingy,whether it has water cooling.

my 2nd clutch is also fading very fast so now chasing for new clutch,found some from malaysia or just gonna get from Dave B.
For the radiator,I'm looking for a civic radiator,so I'l have much more space for the turbo,the weather is very hot and stays around 28~30'C all year around,so a big NO-NO for aircon remove

#6 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

Might need forged rods too, depending on what power you're after, otherwise you could bend the standard ones if bhp is too high. However, you'll need to notch the block at the bottom of the cylinders, otherwise the rods will foul. You can get AC to fit if you go for a Honda Civic half rad, but you will need to create new mounting points on the body. Make sure you get a FMIC that fits the current body, rather than modify the body to suit. And carefully route the piping, you don't want to shut the bonnet after all that hard work and end up putting a dent in it!!

Not sure if you need the Starlet crank pulley as well, I think it's different to the Sera one.

Have a search on the Toyota GT Turbo website TGTT, a few on there have done 5EFTE builds (slightly different for Starlets, but still useful info).

tried to find only the APR bolts but all come either full kit(pistons,rods,etc..) or only as forged con rod kit.was thinking to get these [ http://www.tm-develo...products_id=422 ]
For the FMIC,the guy told me that I will have to get the front bumper about 2~3 to front since the fmic will sit in between.so now thinking a bigger front opening for the fmic & to relocate the number plate.so the IC will have less restrictions.For piping he will custom made the bends.
I'm gettin the trust IC Posted Image

& get the piping work done.

what's ur opinion about the forged con rods.

#7 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

sounds like fun. i'll be watching this build thread with interest, i was going to turbo the paseo before i whipped up the ITB's. i went as far as to acquire a TD04 turbo kit (manifold, recon'd turbo and de-cat downpipe), the starlet oil filter re-locator, some sera 5E-FHE rods as the paseo ones are very high milage and i'd not want to put boost on them. even got hold of a GT4 fuel pump to straight swap the original for the fueling demands.
now all that lot is just sitting dormant in the garage, gathering dust.

also i did the research and (if your going to use the standard GT turbo ECU as the glanza one has a different pin congratulation) you can safely run it on 310-330 cc injectors. more commonly those found in the 1G-GTE engine, or the later 7M-GTE engines (they are lime green in colour) as these are top feed and will plug and play with a starlet/sera fuel rail.

for ARP nuts/bolts try Fensport.com

Checked at fensports for con rod bolts,but they have only head bolts.so no luck :-(
I also checked about the injectors,330 seems to be fine,but have to ask from my tune shop person more about that.

will keep update about the project as it happens :P

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

most people fit intercoolers that are far to big. If you are in Sri Lanka could WEPR loan you a scrap turbo for test fitting? Are you near them?

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#9 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

most people fit intercoolers that are far to big. If you are in Sri Lanka could WEPR loan you a scrap turbo for test fitting? Are you near them?

yep,their workshop is about 10minutes drive away.He said that he will fix a turbo and try it first,but what worries me is that I have to take off the front bumper and when I refit,there will be 2-3inch gap

#10 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

The bumper is not fitted on with much - doesn't sound a very good idea to me and 2-3 inches gap is quite a lot!

The mouth of the standard bumper can be cut back, but there isn't much room at all, and with the standard air conditioning condenser (and its fan) in place there is very little room.

#11 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Have anyone used E-Manage Ultimate on Sera?

#12 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

My intercooler fits without any modifications to the bumper. I didn't fit it, but it's only a generic one because I have the receipt. Its bolted to the crossmember just in front of the radiator. Studs have clearly been welded on, but it fits ok.

Just remembered that my ac was removed, along with the ac fan, so more room. But with a half rad you should be ok.

#13 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

I've been meaning to try getting my working again, I bought a eManage Ultimate, to use on my Sera with a 4E-FTE ECU. I think somethings wrong though, get plenty of hesitation and rougle idle... hmmm

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

I've been meaning to try getting my working again, I bought a eManage Ultimate, to use on my Sera with a 4E-FTE ECU. I think somethings wrong though, get plenty of hesitation and rougle idle... hmmm

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

on 4E-FTE it works fine(afaik) but on 5E-FHE,specially in Sera ECU,will it work as in 4E?

#15 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

It's a piggy back ECU that intercepts and modifies signals, it will work on anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users