5 replies to this topic

#1 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Well, as am now getting to the second stage of running in, I decided it was about time it dealt with some revs and some boost.

Being as I am skint, I got this kit off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=200330325108

Have set up both parts according to instructions, although because I couldn't get the short original hose off the turbo I ended up using it for the turbo end, and a bit of supplied hose for the actuator end. as such it's mounted above the PAS pump, held in place with a cable tie. The boost gauge is hooked straight up to the previously unused connector next to the (still not connected) air sensor.

I've set it to the lowest possible setting, I was hoping to keep it at about 0.5 until the engine is run in, but even still when you get to .5 it starts hurtling upwards so quick that by the time i can react it's reached .7 - .8 . given that the ECU initiates fuel cut at .8, I was lucky it didn't kick in.

So, what's causing it to boost so high? Is this just mega boost creep, owing to the bigger block and various exhaust mods, or have I bought a dodgy boost controller?

Muchly Ta.
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#2 Sic Sera

Sic Sera

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Without the boost controller on when did the actuator open?
5EFHE + Garrett GT2860rs + 440cc inj + GReddy E-manage x 10psi = 1 SIC SERA!!!................."In Boost We Trust"

#3 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hard to say, you could hear it sigh every time you ease off the gas, in fact as far as I can tell the controller hasn't made any difference to boost.

The guage is a godsend though, means you can keep blipping the throttle to keep the boost down and accelerate really well without hitting fuel cut, but full throttle is still strictly out of bounds...
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#4 Sic Sera

Sic Sera

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

The lowest setting on the boost controller will be the minimum working pressure of the actuator spring. So untill your car is fully run-in I wouldnt use the boost controller, there is no need. If you want a lower minimum boost you will need a new actuator.
5EFHE + Garrett GT2860rs + 440cc inj + GReddy E-manage x 10psi = 1 SIC SERA!!!................."In Boost We Trust"

#5 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Well the actuator is standard so will be set at 0.6 bar, the GTs 'low' setting. From what I've read an uprated actuator would help a bit but make very little difference to creep.

Given I've got forged internals it would be silly not to start upping the boost once it's run in, Looking around TGTT I think I'm gonna need a RRFPR and fuel cut defender, which I'll get fitted at a tuner. I have a hunch I might need a BOV as well, I have some idea what they do but still not entirely sure about how important it would be.

In the meantime, given I'm pretty skint, I'm wondering if getting hold of a GT boost solenoid would prevent creep, although not sure how easy that would be to wire in.

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#6 Sic Sera

Sic Sera

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

I dont see a GT boost solenoid helping with boost creep. If your boost is climbing above the standard 0.6 there is an issue with either the vacuum hoses going to the actuator or the actuator itself.
As for a BOV. Personaly I think al turbo car must have a BOV, they prevent the turbo surgeing (spinning back the other way) wich reduces lag. In Australia we are not "legally" allowed to have a BOV venting to atomsphere. So i'd check that first before buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users