3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've never turbocharged an automatic car, but have converted auto to manuals. Other people have converted from auto to manual and this is how I think they've done it.

Starlet GT engine. Preferably one from an automatic as the thermostat housing is different and has extra sensors. You can't use the Sera one as it won't have the water cooling feeds to the turbocharger and also comes with the flywheel ring gear.

Starlet GT flywheel ring gear. The bolting pattern for the 4E crank mounting is different to the 5E engine. However, I did find out that the torque converter mounting points are the same. Matching starter motor would be a bonus.

Starlet GT EP82 manual transmission ECU.
The Sera shares the same ECU between auto and manual, but the Starlet autobox has extra modes - a power mode and an economy mode. Now it may well be possible to wire those in but it would be a substantial rewire. I would use the Starlet EP82 manual ECU with 2 plugs as it will plug and play with the Sera loom. You then retain the Seras automatic box and driveshafts. The shifting is done by mechanical systems. The overdrive on/off button is retained.

It should be possible to use the Sera automatic radiator but it will be a very tight fit. The Radiator on an automatic is double thickness which gives a much bigger surface area (automatics have more cooling issues) but it also has the built in gearbox oil cooler.

You'll also need Starlet GT map sensor and things usually required for a manual conversion.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 Lindsey

Lindsey

Delica owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

sounds like the start of a project have been thinking about this for a while as Joyce prefers auto's to manual after a shoulder injury.
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you

#3 rosco

rosco

sera addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

would the automatic radiator set up give better cooling in a non-auto turbo set up??
Posted Image

#4 Lindsey

Lindsey

Delica owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

yes if you could get it to fit it is much thicker than manual rad therefore has more potential for cooling bigger surface area.
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users