28 replies to this topic

#1 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

When phoning around for a quote for my turbo'd Sera, the guy from Adrian Flux told me I should be able to get higher quality pads for the standard calipers and disks, as standard or cheap motor factor parts would fade fast. My pads were replaced about a year ago, dunno the source of them. So, is he right? is there a range of pads available to fit the standard calipers?

He also reccommended braided hosing, also a good idea?
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#2 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

I think the front pads are the same as AW11 mr2 mk1's and theres a shed load for them.

And the SERA will be the same as the starlets so will be loads for them.

#3 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

yes chap, i have always had performance pads on my sera.

i buy them from dave @

www.starletgtturbo.co.uk/

i only have disc's on the front. so not sure on the rears.

his prices are pretty cheap for that sort of thing as he only really deals in starlets :o

im 99.9% sure any ep82 starlet of the same yeah will fit

and yes braided nosing and some new fluid and you will notice a difference :D
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#4 steve

steve

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

Again another one with green upgraded pads from buying car, never used standard pads so don't know how they work, standard starlet pads should fit (I'v had three of them and as far as I can remember there the same, but there is three versions of pads for them as well, so take one with you when buying to compair) steve

#5 Lindsey

Lindsey

Delica owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

Again another one with green upgraded pads from buying car, never used standard pads so don't know how they work, standard starlet pads should fit (I'v had three of them and as far as I can remember there the same, but there is three versions of pads for them as well, so take one with you when buying to compair) steve

if you can find them go for ebc redstuff pads they're cerramic and the bite is unbelievable fitted the to our FTO gpx and improved braking by about 30% also they do not give off loads of dust so your alloys stay cleaner longer, try dave at ricerocket he is ebc stockist may also be able to get grooved disks for you they improve stopping power as well, as for braided hoses they're a must for uprated power as they do not expand when you brake so full force is applied to the caliper.
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you

#6 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

You dont need grooved discs if you never plan to track your car, even if you do you still dont need them.

All they do is wear the pads quicker and cool the brakes, but if your using track spec pads on the road you need to keeop the heat in to maintain braking temps and forces.

Any EBC pads IMHO are absolute crap. In my aw11 I set fire to red stuff pads after 12 laps of pembry. If you want amazing brakes go for carbotech.

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

Greenstuff have good initial bite but fade quickly. We've always preferred Mintex or performance Ferodo pads.

Good brake fluid - eg Dot 5.1 or Castrol Super Response DoT 4 is essential and braided hoses can make a difference.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#8 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Brilliant, cheers for the advice guys.

Looks like the plan will be to get some mintex or possibly ferodo pads from Dave burwash.

Does anyone know the price of standard disks from Toyota? I see Dave has some at 60 plus 12p&p, is this much of a saving over toyota prices?
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Pagids are good as well.

Is the price of a disc each or as a pair - some people price them as either, and some people have no consistent method of pricing!

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#10 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

EP82 turbo discs are 20 +vat each from brakes international http://www.car-brakes.co.uk/

The same as you would get at a factors

#11 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

two sizes of centre bore - 54mm and 55mm

#12 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

He didn't specify, I was assuming it was a pair, as most of them were. By the sounds, probably best letting the mechanic order them in...

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#13 tristancliffe

tristancliffe

2010 Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

To add to Andrew's comment - NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM EBC AS THEY CANNOT MAKE BRAKE PADS. Their only redeeming feature is that they work from cold just as well as they work when hot. But they are noisy, dusty, wear VERY quickly, don't have much initial 'bite', and aren't especially quick to 'release'.

Just don't buy them. Ever. Don't do it. You are all worth more than that.
www.dallara398.com - F3 Club Racing, Monoposto 2000, #1
Monoposto 2008 Classic2000 and 2010 Mono2000 Champion

#14 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

You dont need grooved discs if you never plan to track your car, even if you do you still dont need them.

All they do is wear the pads quicker and cool the brakes, but if your using track spec pads on the road you need to keeop the heat in to maintain braking temps and forces.

Genuine question: Is that from experience?

Theoretically, grooved discs allow any gasses produced to be swept away instead of sitting between the pad & disc, reducing brake effectiveness.
And yes, normal brakes are effective at low temps, so operating a bit cooler shouldn't hurt unless you have exotic pads.

I've needed cooler brakes on a few occasions - suddenly stopping my car from 100mph wasn't a problem, but doing it a second time in 30 seconds was when I found out that the brakes had boiled. I wished I had grooved discs then, I'm sure it would have helped a bit, but more importantly might have been Andrews advice of Dot 5.1 fluid that's changed regularly to avoid water contamination as the water boils and reduces brake fluid pressure.

G.

#15 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

Genuine question: Is that from experience?

Theoretically, grooved discs allow any gasses produced to be swept away instead of sitting between the pad & disc, reducing brake effectiveness.
And yes, normal brakes are effective at low temps, so operating a bit cooler shouldn't hurt unless you have exotic pads.

I've needed cooler brakes on a few occasions - suddenly stopping my car from 100mph wasn't a problem, but doing it a second time in 30 seconds was when I found out that the brakes had boiled. I wished I had grooved discs then, I'm sure it would have helped a bit, but more importantly might have been Andrews advice of Dot 5.1 fluid that's changed regularly to avoid water contamination as the water boils and reduces brake fluid pressure.

G.

Yep. Yes the groves to let air expel and also deglaze the pads slightly, but they wear the pads excessively. If you upgrade pads to fast road/track and dont track your car, to maintain the maximum braking temps its best to keep std discs to keep temps up, if you track your car, then maybe its worthwhile, but the extra cost of extra pads isn't really worth it IMHO. one of my friends got (against my advice) greenstuffs to go with his black diamond groved discs, the discs ripped chunks out of his pad (but they were green stuffs, which are crap anyway).

I am notoriously hard on brakes :) In a race series where most people were running the same pagid pad, I tried it, killed it in a test day, qual and a race. I bought some red stuffs (as thats all I could get hold of in the day) and I set them on fire in 12 laps. In my kart, I warped the brake disc many times. NOw where I can I use the cheapest disc I can get and carbotech pads (200 for the pads), this set up is amazing and wears the disc more than the pads.

Hoses, make a big, big difference :)

As for fluid, I personaly use racing 4.1 for track use with 2/3 changes a year, but that in a road car isn't viable. 5.1 is good alternative today with the recent fluid developments and has comparable boiling points to the low end race fluids. 5.1 is still hygroscopic (absorbs water) though, so still needs changing as per service regulations. Make sure you get 5.1 NOT DOT 5!! DOT 5 is silicone based and will eat your brake seals.

To add to Andrew's comment - NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM EBC AS THEY CANNOT MAKE BRAKE PADS

Top advice, EBC are the MAX power of brake pad :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users