10 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

If you are building a 5E-FTE hybid (turbo version of 5E engine), you have a quandry about what flywheel to use. Stock flywheel is smaller than Starlet turbo which means that the clutch is smaller. Starlet turbo flywheel won't bolt onto 5E crank (different flywheel bolting PCD).

Using a Toyota 13405-11051 flywheel solves the problem - it bolts straight onto the 5E crank, but allows you to use a 4E-FTE clutch.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

Handy info mate...

178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

People have speculated about the existance of this flywheel for a while, but no-one actually knew the part number. Someone posted the part number on TGTT so I thought I'd post it somewhere else...

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 donut

donut

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:54 PM

tercel el43 clutch fits 5e crank and 4efte clutch afaik, that could be the 1 your talking about

#5 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yes, I found the part number which takes out any guesswork.

The Starlet turbo flywheel is 12mm larger in diameter, which doesn't sound a lot, but when you calculate the surface area of the clutch, it makes a bigger difference.

There is a much wider selection of uprated 4E-FTE clutches than uprated 5E clutches, and I don't really recommend re-drilling or slotting the flywheel mounting holes as you could either severely weaken the flywheel or introduce a serious imbalance.

#6 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Wow, I'd not realised the sera had a smaller clutch, Darren may well already know to get a bigger clutch, but shall send the part number anyway.
Would I/he have to modify/replace the gearbox though?
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

Gearboxes are effectively the same, may have slightly different ratios but you won't notice for day to day driving. No other mods required.

You could use the standard Sera flywheel and clutch - but it would not last as long for day to day use and for spiritied driving it would start to slip earlier.

You can't use a Starlet turbo flywheel because the crank bolting pattern is different between 4E and 5E cranks. You could get the bolt holes slotted but I would regard this as a bit of a bodge and the cost of doing this accurately is probably equal to that of buying the flywheel. If you work out the % increase in surface area that the new flywheel and a Starlet turbo clutch gives over a Sera clutch is about 20%.

The flywheel is around 100 from Toyota.

Your old flywheel and clutch would have some value to a Sera owner wanting to convert from automatic to manual.

You may need to get a Starlet turbo starter motor but Darren Burwash may be able to compare the Sera to the Starlet and advise accordingly - its really going to be number of teeth on the starter motor and will they mate with the tooth form on the other flywheel.

#8 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

Found this http://www.tm-develo...roducts_id=1118 ,is this the same which Andrew mentioned?

Today I went for a clutch kit replacement,the mechanic told me to go for 4E clutch kit,since it will hold up high rpm clutch dump,if I get the above mentioned flywheel with carbon clutch kit,will it hold the pressure?
What happens when you cross the line between car and fashion accessory?
In Toyota's case the result was the Sera

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

If you wish to drive like a lunatic, then this clutch, with a 4E racing clutch will help. A standard road 4E clutch will last a bit longer than standard.

#10 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

And a LSD would also be fun (the gearbox type ok!)

#11 djsri

djsri

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Ordered from Dave burwash & got the flywheel today,Couldn't get it from local Toyota since they don't import.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it's time to search for carbon clutch kit
Also are the "ROSS" forged pistons good for a 5EFTE rebuild?
What happens when you cross the line between car and fashion accessory?
In Toyota's case the result was the Sera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users