Photo

Short throw shifter

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

This one on Ebay is a little cheaper:
http://cgi.ebay.com....em=320052051297

G.

#32 Crash Test Dummy

Crash Test Dummy

Owned over 60 cars so far

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

That's quite different to the TRD one Graham, plus I also get to take it back if it's not up to my liking :wizard:

#33 colinhelen

colinhelen

Play up Pompey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

This one on Ebay is a little cheaper:
http://cgi.ebay.com....em=320052051297

G.

Thank you - am now bidding on it!
Transport: 2004 Mercedes ML270, 1994 Del SOL with a TT roof, Hyundai i30, Elan Invader v240 Offshore cruiser with a 5.7 v8 chevvy engine, Unused Mountain bike times two, kayak, inflatable dinghy, Zooter land yacht.

Family: Helen, Maria (now married), one dog, three cats, one Blue Fronted Amazon, a few fish and no space!

#34 Crash Test Dummy

Crash Test Dummy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

If you do end up winning the auction for it, please say what it's like <_<

#35 colinhelen

colinhelen

Play up Pompey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

Wil do if (A) I win it and
(:thumbsup: I figure out how to get it in!
Transport: 2004 Mercedes ML270, 1994 Del SOL with a TT roof, Hyundai i30, Elan Invader v240 Offshore cruiser with a 5.7 v8 chevvy engine, Unused Mountain bike times two, kayak, inflatable dinghy, Zooter land yacht.

Family: Helen, Maria (now married), one dog, three cats, one Blue Fronted Amazon, a few fish and no space!

#36 Crash Test Dummy

Crash Test Dummy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:33 AM

It shouldn't be too hard to change the bar over, plus I'm sure a local garage (or one of us :thumbsup:) would give ya advice anyway if you do end up getting stuck ;)

#37 colinhelen

colinhelen

Play up Pompey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:35 AM

Well, I won the short shifter for $44 AU. It's costing $30 AU to airmail it to me. I'm sure when I get it I'll be setting up a thread asking how to put it in!

#38 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:06 AM

I'm sure when I get it I'll be setting up a thread asking how to put it in!

Thats why i bought a kit :thumbsup:
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#39 Crash Test Dummy

Crash Test Dummy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

I just bought the TRD quick-shift kit, and the gear changes are so much quicker!! :D It's also quite a bit shorter than the standard one, but I want it shorter :P

#40 colinhelen

colinhelen

Play up Pompey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

The Short throw shifter arrived. It still had the same length gearstick above it, so I got my trusty disc cutter out and removed the top four inches, and rounded it off and put a different knob on.

Went into the car like a dream, thanks to the link here:

http://www.geocities...shortshift/diy1

Comes with clear photos so I knew what to expect. The only tricky bit was getting the clip onto the bottom of the new shifter without taking the whole assembly out, (the instructions didn't help at all on that one!) but it just needed you to have your fingers squeezed into the right place and it could be pinged on. Getting fingers out of the plastic casing again without shredding them, is a different matter!

The gear change is solid and accurate, and I just flick through the gears now. I'd recommend this to anyone with a manual Sera, a little bit of mechanical knowledge and an hour to spare.

#41 Ryo

Ryo

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:17 AM

The Short throw shifter arrived. It still had the same length gearstick above it, so I got my trusty disc cutter out and removed the top four inches, and rounded it off and put a different knob on.

Went into the car like a dream, thanks to the link here:

http://www.geocities...shortshift/diy1

Comes with clear photos so I knew what to expect. The only tricky bit was getting the clip onto the bottom of the new shifter without taking the whole assembly out, (the instructions didn't help at all on that one!) but it just needed you to have your fingers squeezed into the right place and it could be pinged on. Getting fingers out of the plastic casing again without shredding them, is a different matter!

The gear change is solid and accurate, and I just flick through the gears now. I'd recommend this to anyone with a manual Sera, a little bit of mechanical knowledge and an hour to spare.

are u for real?? i have the same short shifter, i was quite dissapointed with it, and i was about to buy the trd one yesterday, but i think i'll wait till after xmas, firstly the when i tried to install it, it i had to file away at the bottom round knob because it just would not fit into the plastic no matter how much grease u put on, and 2ndly yeah it was the same length as the original shifter, and although the throws are a little shorter, if u saw it off, it would look shorter but then i dunno, the throw still isnt as short as i'd like it. at least it was only $50, now gonna fork out $395 for the TRD one.
Is the TRD one the same one that sera_beetle has ?? http://www.omicron.u...;hl=short shift
if they aren't the same does anyone with a TRD short shift have any before/after pictures ? or just an after installation picture even?

#42 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:52 AM

Ryo

The only difference Between My short shifter and the TRD one is that the TRD comes with a TRD gear knob aswell.

But yes they are pretty much the same... This took me less than a hour to install and i would never go back to the sloopy Stock one now :D

Good luck with yours mate :blink:
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#43 colinhelen

colinhelen

Play up Pompey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

On a bit of a technical note.....

The short shifter I bought fits nicely into the existing socket. When the linkage is attached to the bottom ball it just runs above the body of the car. Any longer (for more reduction) would mean it would foul the floor of the car. Hence the only alternative is to raise the plastic ball socket higher, thus allowing the bottom part of the lever to be longer. All this is fine, and maybe that's what the TRD kit does.

However, as the gear change is so very light in my car, adding the short shifter PLUS cutting the gear stick down significantly, gives exactly the same effect (less travel of the top of the gear stick) for a lot less money, and IMHO, makes the actual gear change feel a little bit more positive and solid.

Each to their own, as they say, but I feel it was $44AU well spent.

I'm not saying that if i had a TRD kit i wouldn't be happy................... :thumbsup:

#44 Crash Test Dummy

Crash Test Dummy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

The TRD kit that I bought goes quite a bit lower at the ball (on the bottom) and you've gotta use the beefy spacers provided with it so it can clear the floor :thumbsup:

#45 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

spacers........ jeez :thumbsup: why the hell didnt I think of that???? :) :cry: so simple.
Used to look after a 1990 EXY10 Auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users