7 replies to this topic

#1 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:31 AM

With the engine and handling out of the way it's time for some more detail to the bodywork of my Sera.
I noticed earlier that it looks like my front and rear bumper have had a shunt damage, or possibly due to parking by the previous owner.

Can anyone with a mint, Sera take a close-up picture of the front and rear bumpers?
Especially the bit with the ridge under the headlights, I assume these should be flush with the bottom of said lights but my lights are protruding (meaning the bumper is pushed backwards)
Same at the rear, it looks like mine has slightly moved inwards. A possible dent at the bumper mounting point (visible when removing the taillights) would confirm this but it might also be perfectly normal.

Thanks in advance!

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

The front is particularly vulnerable and the thin metal frame that supports the top edge of the bumper gets distorted.    Looking at the car side on there should be minimal gap between the top of the bumper to the underside of the wing, and when viewed from top down the bumper should follow the line perfectly.   A give away is a bowed front bumper because although the bumper itself will flex to some extent, the metal bracket bends but doesn't pop back.     Fortunately its comparatively easy to remove the bumper and that metal strip and its usually apparent where the distortion is and some fettling on the bench can improve this.    

If there has been a more substantial knock, the headlamp supporting brackets may be distorted leading to a cross-eyed effect.   Sometimes you can manipulate these back into shape, other times you may have to introduce packing pieces to space out the headlamps slightly.

The rear bumper is screwed to the car along the bottom edge.  The top edge has a row of eyelets and through those eyelets are pushed the plastic spacers that the rear strip below the rear lights screws through.    These are long threaded nuts and need a deep socket to remove.   Often you find the eyelets have torn due to a small knock, but they can often be melted together again.    Any more substantial knock would distort the rear panel of the car.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#3 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Andrew,

The long metal strip under the taillights lines up with the taillights but overhangs over the rear bumper so to say. I just had a close look at the pics on the FB page and I see now that my front bumper has the same issue. I know my headlights have some partly broken mounting points, possibly to the parking damage? Thinking of getting a new set in the future to solve this although I have to open them to correct the beam to LHD.

#4 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Here's some pics of the rear and front to show what I mean. I found a issue with the front already and hopefully that'll be sorted out today (or at least temporary) and the rear seem to be like this and nothing I can do about that? Bumper and metal strip under the tail lights all seem undamaged as is the rear sheet metal.

Attached Files

#5 Toyoloog

Toyoloog

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

Found the front bumper metal support bracket bent backwards and one side snapped off so there's my problem with the front bumper. Also found the 2 clips for the headlights (that hold the metal bar) missing in action so I'll try to order those as well... For the time being it's all back installed again, at least that means it'll be easy to take apart :D

#6 Tobias

Tobias

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:11 AM

I have the same problem! My Sera must have had a front accident that wasn't repaired correctly. I'm trying to get it fixed now, but after removing the front bumper I noticed that the bumper retainer (52506-18010; labelled 52525 in the diagram below) is bent in a few places and a bit twisted.
Unfortunately this part isn't available anymore from Toyota, so unless someone of you has a good one lying around and would sell it to me, I have to try and fix my retainer. Are there any pictures around showing how this part looks before making contact with a concrete wall or half the cars on a supermarket's parking lot? I can't really figure out for sure which segments should be straight and where it should make a bent to follow the bumper's curving.

122140_5201_0001.png

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

I have a good condition 52525 bar, but I have repaired several.   Its usually apparent where the accident has bent it and often pulling in the opposite direction of the accident impact will start to reshape it.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#8 Tobias

Tobias

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

That's what I'm trying to do now, but I'm not sure I will succeed because it is bent in different places and was twisted too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users