9 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Purchased last weekend.  This is the ex-pink-tombi (Marie Emslie) car that Debbie Evans bought a couple of years ago.   Its been stored indoors for a couple of years and I bought it.

Its a phase III with manual gearbox.   It was specified with SLSS and it also has the arm rest / cubby box and front fogs too.

First job is to make it run.   It was running a month ago apparently, but the fuel is old and fuel doesn't keep like it used to do..    With a boost battery the engine turns over briskly but it won't fire, so next it to check for a spark, and also check fuel is flowing.   

It needs a pair of front wings - I have one in stock.   Doors have some rust along bottom edge and also around the drop glass frame.     The roof glass is the optional graduated tinted type, so I need to think what to do about this.   I may have a pair of doors from an phase II with this glass, but I need to check to see if this is the same colour tint, and what state those doors are in.  It may be that swapping door may be easier than repair, as paintwork is needed either way.

Other things to look at - emissions - exhaust blow possibly.   A coil spring.   Refurb the wheels - although I'd like a set of standard alloys...

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 jim graham

jim graham

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

Got it running yet?

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Decided now is the time to get it up and running again.

Front wings have both rotted through, but I got a pair of wings from Impressive G's old car which was very rusty in other areas.    Both are good around the wheelarch, but both will need repair sections making and welding in on the bottom edge where it curls around the bottom of the front of the sill.

I don't like the fog light in the rear bumper, so I've taken a spare rear bumper and sanded the paint off it.    To save time, I'm preparing another front bumper.    There isn't anything wrong with the one on the car per se, but if I get everything ready I can swap things over.

The engine starts and runs, it needs a bit of a tune and a good clean under the bonnet.  

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

This evening: 18:00-19:30

remove bonnet, headlights, front grille, front bumper, front wings, indicators, repeaters

rear lights, rear garnish, number plate

drop glasses, wing mirrors, door handles

flat back paint on bonnet.   Repair damage to leading edge and two small dents.   Ready for primer

flat back paint on front bumper.  Repair gouge to bumper and fill two holes where a previous UK sized number plate was fitted.

Had one person helping me, who stayed late after work.

#5 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

So during April, May and June, myself and some of my work colleagues stripped the Sera and embarked on an exterior repaint.   There were rust repairs to rear wheel arches and sills, plus repairs to both front wings.   I was hoping to take the car to Sera Sunday.

The project including 3D printing reversing sensor surround and clip, and vinyl printing logos, including a replica of the original dealer sticker.

As this was mostly an after hours project, things got delayed, and the car wasn't MoT'd until the Saturday of the Sera Sunday weekend.    Driving to the evenings campsite saw the car overheat repeatedly, so sadly I decided to abandon the idea and got the car recovered to base.

After a weeks holiday I ordered the necessary bits to do a head gasket change, and so that's what I've been doing.   Taking it slowly, doing things carefully, and cleaning, washing and painting a lot more than is strictly necessary.

I found what was probably the cause - failure of the thermostat - it had fallen apart in its housing.  It was still working though - temperature would rise to halfway and when stationary the temp would reach half way, but it wouldn't maintain that under load on the road.

The heads virtually ready to refit, and as well as changing head gasket, I'm changing thermostat, water pump, timing belts, belt tensioner and idler bearing, auxiliary belts.   I'm also dropping the sump and cleaning out the strainer as well as repainting it.   This evening I changed the water pump as its easier to do that when the cylinder head was off.

I've been documenting progress on Instagram at www.instagram.com/toyotasera/ and I've been uploading photos of the project to https://goo.gl/photo...cVKxuAKcMYuyPa9showing the car as I got it in 2016, the bodywork restoration and the engine work.

Once its on the road again and hopefully water tight / oil tight and behaving itself, I'll be fitting the optional leather steering wheel, the CleanAce system and the Pure 600 DAB adaptor I purchased.

#6 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

OK.    Recap:-

Rebuilt cylinder head with new gaskets and put back together.   Ran sweetly for the first 10 minutes and then clouds of white smoke appeared.        Took it all apart again.   Checked everything - all within tolerance.  Had cylinder head pressure tested in case of porosity and it was OK.   Had it skimmed as a precaution, although my measurements were fine.

Took sump off, took pistons out and found rings siezed, so ordered new piston rings and connecting rod bearings.     Honed block in situ.     Took valves out of cylinder head and replaced valve guide seals, relapped valves and rebuilt.

Finally OK.

Have now put several hundred miles on the clock and is running sweetly.

#7 Tobias

Tobias

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Wow, quite a bit of work! Good to hear the car is running properly again. :thumbsup:

#8 deloreanguy

deloreanguy

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:28 PM

I'd like to see the repro of the window sticker you made...

James

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Its not a window sticker, but a sticker that went on the strip above the bumper.    Took a couple of liberties with the design but its mostly faithful.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6125.jpg

#10 DariusCo

DariusCo

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:37 PM

I like those stickers, Andrew. I'd love to see them actually on the car. I hope your project is coming along nicely.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users