#1 Patio

Patio

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hi everyone!

Thought I would introduce myself as a recent owner of a 1990 Phase 1 auto green/yellow Sera from Perth, Western Australia (Link of photos via Google: https://goo.gl/photo...y6q8odeBP4Fig6)

Bought it with 170 000 kms and it looks like it has seen better days. I am at least thankful that it is registered and running and that the doors are holding themselves up.

Bought this car with the intention to restore it to its former glory with some TLC. I've always been an avid fan of cars and wanted to take on a project to learn more about how cars are put together, despite working in another industry.

Initially, I thought that all I would have to do is to address the body panel, interior, and a few mechanical items but when I took the car in to Toyota recently it was a bit of an eye opener! It became apparent that mechanically this car has been through some neglect; timing belts have started to crack and a heavy buildup of sludge developed in the engine and sump. Knowing that the previous owners did not attend to regular maintenance, I can assume that the automatic transmission will need attention, but have not had a chance to inspect it yet. 

This leaves me with three options (that I can think of):
1. Rebuild the current engine and possibly transmission.
2. Swap in another engine, possibly a Glanza/Starlet GT engine
3. Convert it into an electric vehicle (a surprisingly good candidate car as an EV!)

If I had the finances, I would go with option 3 (it appears there's a fully electric Sera in Perth?). Option 02 sounds great if I can source an engine that is still in a respectable condition but for now option 1 is probably the path I will take.

Would welcome recommendations for engine builders, panel shops and upholsterers in Perth that will do quality, honest work with attention to detail. I don't mind paying more as long as the quality of work can be justified!

Hope to hear back from you guys. I've been keeping up with the posts on the facebook groups and it's great to see the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm for Seras - keep it up!

Thanks,
Patrick

#2 Noely

Noely

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:23 AM

Looks good mate! Very clean love the wheels Rota Grids?  :thumbsup:

93' TOYOTA SERA

Phase III -Light silver opal

:ph34r: Newcastle - [AUS] :thumbsup:

#3 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Welcome! Car actually looks good in the photos.
hope it brings you lots of good times :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introductions, perth, australia, restoration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users