146 replies to this topic

#1 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:05 PM

Well, as it has become increasingly obvious the 5E will never again be healthy without a rebuild, I have decided to get a rebuild with a turbo conversion.

I'm hoping the cost of the rebuild will absorb many of the usual turbo expenses - pistons can be done, and all the engine bits that need changing were coming off anyway.

Anyway, compiled this list from one of andrews posts:

need:
ct9 turbo
Starlet turbo MAP sensor (one on the Sera doesn't know the concept of positive boost)
Starlet turbo injectors (grey collar 295cc)
Starlet turbo thermostat housing (has coolant feeds for turbo - only needed if turbo has water cooling)
Starlet turbo sump (oil return system fitted)
Starlet turbo remote oil filter housing
FMIC (or possibly starbo TMIC, still haven't decided for sure)

Paid for (awaiting delivery):

Starlet turbo ECU (2 plug ECU from EP82)
Starlet turbo inlet manifold (has air temp sensor in the front - Sera has one in airbox)
Starlet turbo PAS pump and mounting bracket

Not sure what else I need though. Am I going to need a Starbo exhaust system? I'm guessing I'll need the mid section but not the back box?
Also, is the remote oil filter housing standard or is that gonna be an aftermarket mod?
As far as intercoolers are concerned, Andrew - I remember you mentioning most FMICs are far too big, any idea what size would be ideal for the ct9? Also, what is it worth paying for a FMIC? there seems to be a few cheaper ones on ebay - more trouble then they're worth?

This seems to have been more questions then info, (expect more to come!) Any help much apreciated.
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo
The Blue Sera 1.5 turbo - RIP

#2 Impressive G

Impressive G

Everybody Loves TURBO Fighting...HA!

• Moderators
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hey Simon, looks like a good project and one I hope to do someday ^_^

Looks like you have all the parts needed listed but im sure Andrew could enlighten us on anything you have missed. There are some posts on the GT Turbo forums about this also..

As regards to ebay intercoolers, well mine is from ebay from a company called THS parts. Im sure they still sell stuff on there. I think I have the smallest one they do but it is still too big for what it needs to do. However this has not created a noticeable lag in boost, or at least not any more than it should have.

Exhaust: you're right about needing a starlet first half from the turbo down pipe but I wouldn't suggest using both unless they are properly fixed together somehow. I would personally get a custom one made at a powerflow agent using the flanges from a standard system. While you are at it you could de-cat it too :)
Enjoy the ride...Invincible Sera 7706 TSS Class B runner up 2008 :)1991 Sera Turbo Audi Ibis White****My Motor****

#3 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

I was reading about 5e-fhte projects in the US looks a great project ^_^

As for pistons, why dont you use the starbo pistons? they use them in the states.

#4 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:02 AM

You could use Starlet turbo pistons. Taking pistons off the rod is quite difficult on the E series engines compared to others and quite easy to damage the piston. Forged pistons would be stronger. I always take American claims with a pinch of salt!

With regards to exhaust - Starlet turbo exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe. Starlet Turbo centre exhaust or custom. This works fine on 4E-FTE engined Seras, but the 5E-FTE hybrid will have a slightly taller block and so the exhaust *may* foul on the underside of the sump. I'd suggest temp fitting exhaust manifold / turbo / downpipe and the Starlet sump before stripping everything down as it can be thought about in advance. Someone who makes Starlet decat pipes - eg Dave Burwash may be able to supply a longer one if necessary.

FMIC - would mean ditching aircon I think. Ideal one is roughly 2/3rds width of the gap available, by about the height of the vent in the front bumper.

If you're going to use the original Sera crank, block and heads I would recommend a thorough clean, inlcuding replacing core plugs in crank and getting rid of any old crud behind them.

The Starlet engine has an additional casting which moves the oil filter to one side. Pic attached.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#5 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

You could use Starlet turbo pistons. Taking pistons off the rod is quite difficult on the E series engines compared to others and quite easy to damage the piston. Forged pistons would be stronger.

If the pistons are hard to get off the rods, then here's some I prepared earlier ^_^
http://cgi.ebay.com....em=190226768036 or go to ebay & search for item 190226768036

and if you need a timing belt, the same seller has one - item # 190226769302.

I don't know about the quality of those used pistons, but they're cheap at the moment.

Cheers, G.

#6 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Well, I was planning on instructing the mechanic to fit new starbo pistons during the rebuild, so all big end components will be brand new.

Sounds like I'd better talk to the guys who've fitted 5e engines in their starbos about their exhaust solutions...

Intercoolers - I made a cardboard mock up of This and squeezed it in, but found the gap the condenser sits in is 60mm deep, but alas the intercooler is 65, thus the bottom of it rests about half way up the vent on the bumper. It would sit in place fine were it not for the small vertical girder that the central bumper mount and bonnet latch attach to. is this something I can do without? or something that would have to be modified?

Also - what about the radiator? I was thinking just copy gav and stick in a civic half rad, although is it something that needs to be replaced?
Confucius say, "He who uses a duck umberella as a bonnet prop shall, in time, inevitably feel the wrath of his bonnet"

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

The G5 bumpers do not have the central support in the middle of the grille.

I presume the plan is to hose up the FMIC by going underneath the front cross member?

It is sensible to have a gap between heat exchangers otherwise you can end up with a stall effect as the air from one heat exchanger gets backlogged by passing through the a/c condensor and then the radiator itself. A gap allows air an escape route.

If you can't find anything off the shelf, a custom one may not be as expensive as you think. http://www.paceproducts.co.uk They do 40mm and 55mm thick intercoolers.

Radiators: Are you converting from auto to manual at same time? If so, probably wise as there isn't much clearance before the turbo housing hits the radiator (bags of room on a Starlet). Civic half width radiator would be best in that case. On my own Sera I just used the one that came with my Starlet donor car. Standard radiator should be ok unless its suffering from fin rot or is old and knackered.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#8 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

The plan was to go under the cross member aye, though looking at it today, I think the bumper would need to be cut to make way. I'm wondering if putting in a half width rad would give room on either side for the piping to go above, althoguh I remember Gav's was mounted to one side to line up with the original mounting point.

I'm also wondering If I could move the central support forward about 10mm with longer bolts and spacers? as it is, the bumper is 5mm clear of it because it just doesn't seem to want to go back far enough to meet it.

Or...

I've also emailed andy barnes about the questpower bonnet.
Alternately, how much, roughly, should I expect to spend modifying a stock Sera bonnet (assuming I already have a starbo one)?

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#9 Tony

Tony

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

I have a civic half radiator for sale. Brand new, never been used.
If you are interested PM Pink Tombi.

#10 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

It begins!

Posted Image

Only thing isthe PAS wheel has some slight damage, althoughas far as I can ee the Sera one is exactly the same. Even if it isn't, I don't think the damage would be a problem...

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#11 Impressive G

Impressive G

Everybody Loves TURBO Fighting...HA!

• Moderators
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

cool stuff bud.

see if you can get it finished for JAE :D
Enjoy the ride...Invincible Sera 7706 TSS Class B runner up 2008 :)1991 Sera Turbo Audi Ibis White****My Motor****

#12 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:01 AM

That would be nice, but short of winning the lottery I don't think I'll have the funds in time...

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#13 Dont_tell_him_pike

Dont_tell_him_pike

loves his duck brolly...

• Moderators
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

Injectors arrived today!

Is there a way of giving them a good clean whilst they're out the car? Got half a bottle of redex kicking about, seems like if I can give them a good cleanout out of the engine it'd save faffing about pumping it through the petrol tank for several hundred miles...just not sure if I can do owt with them if they're not in the engine.

Also, I'm thinking about piping - I notice gav and tony both have the standard efi pipe with FMICs, and a guy on the starbo forum is selling a few 90 degree bends as well as a short straight section and two bits of standard piping. I'm thinking if I can use all these it'd save a lot on new piping?

The Red Sera 1.5 turbo

#14 Lindsey

Lindsey

Delica owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Injectors arrived today!

Is there a way of giving them a good clean whilst they're out the car? Got half a bottle of redex kicking about, seems like if I can give them a good cleanout out of the engine it'd save faffing about pumping it through the petrol tank for several hundred miles...just not sure if I can do owt with them if they're not in the engine.

Also, I'm thinking about piping - I notice gav and tony both have the standard efi pipe with FMICs, and a guy on the starbo forum is selling a few 90 degree bends as well as a short straight section and two bits of standard piping. I'm thinking if I can use all these it'd save a lot on new piping?

you could talk nicely to a friend with a parts washer and give them a good soak in hot degreaser then run them through the dish washer( but do not get caught it works wonders on grubby engine bits just remember to empty it first!!!!!!!
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you

#15 cartledge_uk

cartledge_uk

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Injectors arrived today!

This is using an ultrasonic cleaner from aldi that cost ~20

http://www.mr2.net/r..._injectors.html

hope it helps

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users