sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Great Stuff mate.

your project is coming closer and closer.... ^_^ :D
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#17 drew1.0beta

drew1.0beta

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

great! turbo on the way...hehe
btw, wat bov is tht?

#18 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

btw, wat bov is tht?

Some fully ricey type thing, "PoweR Up - Venom Pro Type 1" I probably won't be able to use it here as it would be considered a defectable item on road vehicles (venting to atmosphere instead of back into the intake), Maybe for track use only ^_^

http://www.powerupbo...om/powerup.html

Posted Image

#19 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:54 AM

I've been having a big think about this and I might change my plan of approach for a turboed 5E-FHE, instead of going the Stock Starlet GT parts route, spend a bit more time on researching and planing and go with a TD04L Turbo setup and a custom manifold and dump. The starlet GT's exhaust manifold looks to be horribly restrictive when put on a 5E from what I've read from owners with Starlets who have dropped in the 5E. The problem with the starlet manifold is a huge restriction on the 3rd cylinder in the way of extra material on the manifold to accommodate the depths of the turbo flange bolts.

A CT9 on a 4E-FTE is great, but something slightly larger and less restrictive could be a better option for the 5E.

I also may have a chance at some Forged 4E-FTE Pistons, they just need Rods, Rings and Pins, would they cost much? (just those three elements)

#20 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

I've been having a big think about this and I might change my plan of approach for a turboed 5E-FHE, instead of going the Stock Starlet GT parts route, spend a bit more time on researching and planing and go with a TD04L Turbo setup and a custom manifold and dump. The starlet GT's exhaust manifold looks to be horribly restrictive when put on a 5E from what I've read from owners with Starlets who have dropped in the 5E. The problem with the starlet manifold is a huge restriction on the 3rd cylinder in the way of extra material on the manifold to accommodate the depths of the turbo flange bolts.

A CT9 on a 4E-FTE is great, but something slightly larger and less restrictive could be a better option for the 5E.

I also may have a chance at some Forged 4E-FTE Pistons, they just need Rods, Rings and Pins, would they cost much? (just those three elements)

rings / pins and rings are normally supplied with the pistons - I would contact the piston manufactuer to get these parts. Cannot assume that OEM Toyota parts will be correct as metal properties between stock pistons will vary

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#21 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

CT9 -vs- TD04L Turbo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

:P

#22 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:50 AM

he hee aint they wickle :cry:

I had a play with a CT9 round at gavs a while back, cool little thing :)

I assume your goung for the bigger one scuz :lol: what sort of car is it off?
Used to look after a 1990 EXY10 Auto

#23 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:55 AM

2003 Subaru, not sure what model, something that had a 2.0L engine I believe, a friends father pulled it off a car that had only done 15,000km's to upgrade it and put it on a shelf. So condition couldn't be any better (for a used turbo).

Fitting it is going to be interesting, the compressor exhaust points straight into the radiator, so it will either be half width Civic radiator, or run an external waste gate setup so I can rotate the housing. The external waste gate would be cooler though, but overkill :cry:

#24 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:55 AM

I think I'm going to put this on hold for at least another six months, at most another year. The only way I could do this at the moment is to get a Personal Bank Loan, which really isn't a wise thing to just spend on car modifications. What I might do is over the next year is save and every now and then pick up something I'll need, starting with suspension as an example. Unless I win a lottery, then it will all happen at once, but until then, having to pay interest in a loan is a loss of $2,000 that could be spent on the car.

One day it will happen :wizard:

#25 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

Ok, finaly get to re-open this thread and make a start...

Well in the last few months my engine's been starting to make funny noises, the bottom end was starting to make some knocking noises so I took my car off the road in preperation for a engine re-build. Today I spent three hours disconnecting everything from my engine bay in readyness to remove the engine.

Radiator's been removed, altenator's pulled out, aircon and power steering disconnected, intake removed and a whole bunch of stuff sitting by the side of the car.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I've got some more photos of the things I've purchased but that can wait :(

#26 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:09 AM

Since I'm a huge fan of slow progress... Yummy

Posted Image

And a bunch of other photos

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Whilst the enginen is out I'm going to put in some 4E-FTE Pistons, the 4E ECU, Water Outlet, Map sensor, Ignigter and a bunch of other stuff that I've had sitting at home for a while now.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Oil Filter relocator thingy and a sammich plate as the 4E-FTE one didn't fit with the 5E-FHE's power steering, but thats ok, getting a custom manifold made up anyway.

Posted Image

Picked up a AEM Air fuel ratio gauge, and might order their boost gauge/controller once the cars closer to being on the road.

Posted Image Posted Image

Grabed a WAIC for $80, also have a Subaru core a mate sent me and I'll see what fits best once the engine's back in..

Today I spent time painting the block, rocker cover and giving the transmission and engine bay a huge degrease.

The 5E head has been re-built, with valve springs from speedvision, and the 4E-FTE Pistons have been cleaned up and put ontop of the 5E-FHE rods.

With a bit of luck the re-build will start on thurday night!

#27 Mina

Mina

Above Average

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

ive never seen so many parts pics... i should study more... :cry: good luck!

#28 Truckbunny

Truckbunny

Just two Sera's now.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Wow - this is dedication. Good luck mate :cry:
The engine de-greaser looks like an interesting feature. :excl:
Azure Pearl Blue ; Light Mica Grey ; Dark Mica Grey

#29 steed

steed

Poor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

what have you done with your old 5E-FHE pistons? i'me looking for a set

#30 TheBauer

TheBauer

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

If the OP doesnt have them, i should still have a set of pistons from my old Sera Engine.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users