17 replies to this topic

#1 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

Anyone know how to remove the fuel level sender unit from the tank? Can they be repaired? Mine will only read to about halfway, then the needle just stops. I have to fill up when the light comes on, but that seems to flicker, so there is potentially a poor contact somewhere.

#2 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

It's located under the rear seats

1 - remove the two outside plastic pegs on the vinyal boot mat behind the rear seats
2 - lift it up enough that you can get to the bolt that is in the middle of each rear seat (10mm form memory)
3 - two 10mm bolts at the rear of the middle arm rest (lifting up the vinyal should be ample)
4 - lift the front of the rear seats, they are held in by pegs and pull upwards, then remove forwards.
5 - two 10mm bolts at the front of the middle arm rest
6 - remove the seat belts, and remove the middle arm rest, unclip wiring from top of fuel tank cover
7 - use pliers and remove clamps on the two fuel lines
8 - crack the bolt that holds down the middle fuel line (Banjo style bolt) and remove fuel line (don't loose the two washers!)
9 - remove the 8 or however many bolts that hold the fuel tank cover and remove cover, take care of the rubber gasket.
10 - now you can remove the fuel pump/sender unit

You can see it in the bottom left of this picture

Posted Image

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

fuel senders can be repaired but its a time consuming and fiddly job as you have to re-thread the sender with the correct grade of electrical resistance wire. I probably have a couple of senders which will save a lot of time.

Replacement is pretty straightforward, need to remove rear centre console and the pump and float unit is accessed through here.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

Could it just be the float is getting stuck from all the years sitting in the tank?

Do I have to empty the fuel tank first?

Andrew, how much to get one from you, posted to Leicestershire? Any chance of a picture so I can see what it actually looks like?

Ta

#5 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Has your car had new speedo dials fitted? Part of fitting new dials means you have to prise off the various needles, and I guess they could have been put back in the wrong position?

However, if it is a float issue, then it would be w. You could remove the float assembly and with the ignition turned on so the fuel gauge circuit is energized you could operate the float manually and see what happens. You don't need to empty the tank as everything goes in from above.

Attached are a couple of photos. I have two in stock, one still with its fuel pump fitted, and one without, but its easy enough to transfer your pump from the old to the replacement.

The top connection has an electical connector which should undo easily, then three fuel fittings. One fairly large banjo connector, then two others - just mark the others so they go back on the right pipe!

20 without pump, 30 with. 5 postage by standard parcels or 6.55 1st class.

Andrew

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#6 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

My car has the original dials, doesn't look like they've been messed with. Although I do believe it's had a mph conversion when the Starlet engine was put in, certainly seems that way when I drive it. Perhaps it's been disturbed somehow, strange that it does work from full down to 3/4, then stops, hence thinking it was the sender unit, but no idea if it's the float or an electrical problem. Isn't it just the float that controls the needle, via electrical input I assume? The warnin glight does flicker when it comes on, as if there's a bad connection, perhaps that's the problem? Suppose I'll need to strip it all out before I can tell what's wrong! But it'll have to go on the list of things to do I'm afraid! Got to sort out the oil leak first! Oh what joy!
I'll get back to you as & when I've done it.

cheers

#7 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

Put replacement float in, gauge showed pretty much empty, so thought great, that works. Filled the car up, but the needle didn't move. Then after a few miles it was suddenly showing full. Now back to just above halfway and it's stuck again!!! I know the needle can drop below this point so cannot understand why it's stopped again. Any ideas?

#8 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

With the float connected but not fully fitted you should be able to move the float and watch the gauge go up and down.

Corroded areas on the resistive wire section could cause erratic readings.

On older cars the floats can stop floating but that doesn't sound like the problem.

If anyone has a spare instrument cluster you could plug it in temporarily to see if its a gauge problem?

#9 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Had the instruments out to do the speedo cable and noticed that the fuel gauge stayed at halfway, even with no electrical input. Is this right, or should the gauge drop when the connectors are removed?

#10 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

It tends to stay in place, water temp drops however.

#11 TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

The fuel gauge is damped (usually with a *tiny* shock absorber type arrangement or similar) so the electrical signal has to 'pull' it into position.
That way the needle won't bounce with the waves in the tank as you drive over bumps.

#12 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Could the damper unit be broken? Is it possible to get to it by taking the cluster apart?

#13 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Trying to remove sender again to see if I can find out why the fuel gauge is sticking, but when i undo the banking bolt fuel keeps coming out. When i replaced the unit last year some fuel came out, but not much. This time, it just keeps coming, as if under some pressure. I don't have the balls to keep undoing the bolt for fear of a major fuel spill. How much fuel is likely to come out when removing the fuel lines?

#14 TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

All the fuel from the bolt, through the lines, to the fuel rail. You might get half a litre or so out.

#15 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Looks like I'll just have to put a tray under the car and loosen it off again, see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users