I'm up to third time dash out!

#18 Adam Evans

Adam Evans

Spammer !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

you're not a true sera owner until you've had the dash out. Mines coming out pretty soon.
Any ideas on the price for a matrix ???

As I parked in the disabled bay the other day someone shouted over

"Hey, what's your disability ?"

I shouted back, "tourettes now F**K OFF !!"

#19 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

When you're getting a heater matrix, don't be tempted to get a used one and save some pennies. Breakers will say that it's good and pressure tested etc, but it's not worth the hassle for a few quid. Get a new one and it's known good and will last. Taking the dash out again to replace it again really pisses you off !

I fitted one to a celica a couple of years back. Cost me about 70 quid from a local branch of Motorcool services. Any decent Motor Factors should be able to source one for you

#20 Adam Evans

Adam Evans

Spammer !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

tbh after actually reading the writeup on it it doesnt seem too difficult. maybe ill enjoy doing this :P
if it can be done in 40 mins im gonna go for the record :P
hardest bit looks like its getting the steering wheel off

#21 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

Don't know where you got the 40 minutes from - Give yourself a full day ( 2 is even better just in case you run into problems )

#22 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

tbh after actually reading the writeup on it it doesnt seem too difficult. maybe ill enjoy doing this :P
hardest bit looks like its getting the steering wheel off

The steering wheel is the easy bit! :lol:

#23 Adam Evans

Adam Evans

Spammer !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Don't know where you got the 40 minutes from - Give yourself a full day ( 2 is even better just in case you run into problems )

andrew said he got the dash out of 1 a few weeks back in 30-40 mins
OBVIOUSLY i wont do it that quick. i suspect its going to be about a 10hour all round job but not too sure
ill just have to see how it goes

#24 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

in all honesty it's a pretty straight forward job - it just seems to take an age.
When you've got the dash out you look back on what you've just done and wonder why it took so long !!

#25 Adam Evans

Adam Evans

Spammer !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

ill just have to crack on with it.
anything that doesnt kill you makes you stronger !!!!
i find that the things that you hate doing become more theraputic the more you do it like fixing this bloody car.
as i said in the other forum if push comes to shove ive got a sledge hammer and a crowbar. im sure the dash wont argue with them two !!

#26 MentalCal

MentalCal

Harmless

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thankyou for these instructions they were brilliant... the car seems to be running great, temp is perfect even in traffic and both pipes in and out of matrix are warm... but unfortunately I must made a boo boo along the way as I've just put everything back in after replacing the water matrix n the 'cold-hot' slidey control doesn't seem to work, so it only blowing freezing cold air, plus my a/c light doesn't seem to work now!! :(

Can anyone assist me in telling me what and where to check for my mistakes as its a wire jungle in there?? :(

Many Thanks!!

Cal

X

#27 Tobias

Tobias

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Adding to step #7:

7. Remove plastic cover over central tunnel (handbrake/gear area). Itís held in by 1 x screw at the top end, where the ash tray was, and 2 x screws at the back end, either side of the tunnel, down by the seats. You may need to remove the seats to do this, or you could use a right-angle phillips screwdriver (like the ones you get free with much Ikea furniture!). Two more screws are located at either side of the lower front end behind the carpet (poke around with your finger to find a small recess in the carpet). There is a little removable panel just under the tip of the handbrake lever which can be pulled out to lift the cover past the handbrake. To remove the cover pull it apart slightly at the front end.

#28 Raj

Raj

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

hi guys I had removed the dash some time back fully, that was all ok , I went on to remove the rear wind shield heater and parking lights switches but couldn't , any body can guide how to do it?

#29 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

If you have access from behind there should be two tabs one top and one bottom?

#30 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:11 PM

Having had to do a heater matrix change on my car,  I'll add to it.

If you have a manual gearbox, you need to remove the clutch pedal - which is three 12mm nuts and a 12mm screw, and a clevis pin and r-clip.   

I didn't remove the steering column or the steering wheel, just dropped the column to the floor.  

My record for taking a dash out is 40 minutes, but that is on the basis that the car is being scrapped and not being put back in, so cutting wires etc., doesn't matter.

This job took me 6 hours, including a half hour lunch break.    Would have been slightly quicker if my car didn't have the cold area spec heater, so had to swap more bits over than expected.   Also tidied up some radio wiring and rear fog light wiring that importer had fitted.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users