87 replies to this topic

#1 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hello! I'm going to attempt the rear logo illumination project tomorrow and I'm going all out! Instead of just a single light source, im going for FOUR. Yes I am a madman, but there is method to my madness.

The aim will be to build a setup of relays to dictate where eletricity will be flowing, and I would just like to see other peoples thoughts on it.

The goal will be this...

:D head lights will power the setup. When the headlights are set to one notch on the headlight stalk a set of red leds's will illuminate with the tail lights.
:D When the brake light is illuminated, a second set of red led's will boost the illumination of the rear logo.
:censor: when the reverse light is activated, both reds will cut, and white will be illuminated
:angry: and i've catered for a fourth custom colour setup to be overriden by a switch.

I've tried to make this diagram as easy as possible, all three lines on the bottom left are positive, all negatives exit via grounds. the green wire in the relay is its default (un-powered) position. Does this look overly complex then what it needs to be? if anything I know the first relay could be ditch for a two throw switch. Ive also read a little about logic gates, is th is a better option?

Attached File  SCUZZY_IS_CRAZY.png   48.36KB   40 downloads

Update: I've since modified my circutry to draw power from a different source but trigger the first relay with the tail light power.

Toyodiy Thingy: I6EYF

#2 Rich

Rich

Occasionally Makes Sense

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

Just off the top of my head, you could try something like this.
Use a double throw relay but put this to Earth. The Logo power ( red AND white ) would be tapped through the rear light as usual. So when the lights are on then the logo lights up red, finding an earth through the relay contact. When reverse is selected, the power from the reversing light switches the relay and earths the White LEDs, lighting them. The brake LEDs would be on a separate feed anyway, so they can be ignored from the switching circuits.

I'll try and knock up some sort of schematic for you if you want as I'm not too sure how well I've explained this !

This is only 3 banks of LEDs, but if you get this sorted then it'll be no hardship to shunt power to the subsequent 4th colour with another relay or a switch on the power-in side.

#3 blaster

blaster

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hi scuzzy

Looks and sounds OK you must have so much spare time ?

Jimmy :D
Sera's gives you Wings

See Photos in Garage

#4 MountainmanJohn

MountainmanJohn

Mountain freak.....

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

Sounds a great setup. :D
If you use LED's make sure you have a good diffuser. I had 6 LED's diffused through some plexi. It was only just enough light. Dont know the brightness of the LED's thogh.
I'm going to do it again too (last one killed by motorbike impact) and will use a neon probably.
Unless someone sells me a multi colour unit thing like above :D
............................................Visit my Mountaineering pages...............................................

..........................................My Grellow.....................................................

#5 RichardK

RichardK

Another filthy Mac User

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Been working on that for ages, but only on paper. Idea is to use RGB LEDs, with a PIC controller to make them cycle through a 256 colour range on one setting.

Never got the circuit figured out though.

170 cars in 25 years - 4 of them Seras!

Sera: 1991 Black Phase 2 Auto - 14725
Not Sera: Yellow 1998 SLK 230K, 1993 500 SEC (for sale), 2006 RX8 192, 2002 Twingo, 1989 Volvo 740.

#6 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:51 AM

Okay, do not do what I have suggested, its much cheaper to just buy a single cold cathode :(

Finding a place that can cut acrylic on a saturday at 12 noon is a bad idea, my project is going to have to wait till next weekend! :thumbsup:

#7 bartone

bartone

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

where do u buy a cold cathode in the first place thou?
i cant seem to find any around. like what kind of shops sell em?
Another Wine Red Sera
.:Garage:.

#8 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:36 AM

Eletronic Specialy/Hobby Shops, also Car Entertainment places

#9 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:15 AM

where do u buy a cold cathode in the first place thou?
i cant seem to find any around. like what kind of shops sell em?

I picked up a couple from Ebay very cheap - it was a U.S. seller and with conversion rates & shipping it worked out to be about half the price in said electronics stores around me.

Got som EL (electro-luminescent) wire at the same time, still haven't used it properly on the Sera.

Cheers, Graham.

#10 MountainmanJohn

MountainmanJohn

Mountain freak.....

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

Get two 6"cathode tubes, any coulour for under 5 on E-bay. Great :thumbsup:
............................................Visit my Mountaineering pages...............................................

..........................................My Grellow.....................................................

#11 bartone

bartone

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

Get two 6"cathode tubes, any coulour for under 5 on E-bay. Great :thumbsup:

would the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter work?
as the one listed here? Cold Cathode
Another Wine Red Sera

#12 MountainmanJohn

MountainmanJohn

Mountain freak.....

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

I got these. very bright, and a pair.
like this
But its up to you. They are the same type of thing. The main thing is to get a good diffusion, or you will see an uneavenly lit SERA.

#13 bartone

bartone

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:33 AM

ah so those would work for the logo? did u put two or one? on it.. btw isnt 12" a bit long?
Another Wine Red Sera

#14 MountainmanJohn

MountainmanJohn

Mountain freak.....

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:38 AM

yes thats the 'type' I'm using, I think mine are only 4 inch. I used LED's first time round. But they were hard to get a totaly eavenly lit logo. So Ive started with the neons like i have inside the car. They are bright. one would be enough, but I'm using two behind a red peice of reflector. Not finished yet tho

#15 bartone

bartone

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:44 AM

hmm ok. but would 12" be too big for it? cuz i just measured it and theres only about 2 inches of space left on both sides..

plus im not sure how to do the wiring :( can anyone help me?
Another Wine Red Sera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users