#1 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

Ok so here goes..
Today i wanted to pull off the rear lights so that i could spray black paint around the outside of it as mine was becoming more and more grey.. anyways, i got a little carried away and started pulling random things off and had a crazy stupid idea that doing the rear logo illumination was a good idea... ohh boy...
so i figured, i will do my part for society and take pics of every step and then let you boys and girls now just how to do it ;)

WARNING: This takes time! It took me a total of about 6hours. but it can differ from person to person. Just dont expect to do it in an hour or two.
Girls, you will break a nail or two i can gaurantee this, as you will see the progress through the pictures, my nail polish gets more and more chipped haha

First things first, the simple stuff.
Make sure you have:
A tub or bucket, sink or bath to be able to fill with soapy hot water and big enough to fit the rear panel in.
A knife or scissors to scrape silver stuff off the badge once removed.
Some kind of light to actually illuminate the sign.. coz yes believe it or not, i started this without thinking what i would use to light the damn thing up. I suggest a 'cold cathode' as it diffuses light well.
If you are going to be doing it exactly how i did it,
a sheet of plain white paper
silicone
a cold cathode fluoro tube
an inverter (for the cold cathode)
wire
time
and patience

So lets get started shall we :ph34r:

Ok, so, open the boot
the first thing you will need to do, as this is the easiest way, is to remove the rear panel of the inside of the boot. This is held in with about 15 clips that easily pop out and back in. So with a little force, grab the bottom corner, down near the mat, and pull. there are clips all around the outside and the middle.

Once thats out, its time to remove the rear lights.
To do this, you need to undo two screws for each cluster.
Unfortunatly, I only have pics with the screws taken out, but you can see the two holes.
(PICS ARE TAKEN AS THOUGH IM SITTING IN THE BOOT)

Posted Image
Drivers side rear light screws

Posted Image
Passenger rear light screws

Once they are undone, put the screws in a safe place. To push the light cluster out, I pushed the screws from the inside and then pulled the light from the outside like so..

Posted Image
Drivers side rear light
Posted Image

#2 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

Ok so now that you have the lights out, you can get the rear panel out. This involves removing ONE screw! Mine confused me as it had quite a few that looked like they needed to be removed. This could be due to having a reverse beeper. Mine was unplugged and I would never want it plugged in so I just removed that while I was at it.

This is the ONE and only screw you will need to undo to get the rear panel out

Posted Image

Then, doing the same again, push the screw from the inside and gently pull the rear panel from the outside, it should come free :thumbsup:

Posted Image

So next thing to do is run him a very hot soapy bath, like so..
And leave to soak for 1hour +, depending on how hot the water is

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

Then, once you think its as soaked as it can be, SLOWLY, slowly, slowly try and pry the sera logo off.
This took me about 20mins to actually get off, I tried using my nails, I tried using a baby screwdriver, but I found that a pocketknife (swiss army knife) worked best. Once I was able to get underneath the logo, I could actually use the knife to cut some of the sticky stuff, which by the way, is kind of like a foam. Its very thick and white.

Posted Image

Then, bobs you uncle! Its away!!

Posted Image

Ok so if you were lucky, a lot of the silver will be left behind on the panel. So now your task is to SLOWLY and CAREFULLY remove all of the silver and sticky white gunk from the sera logo. This is where the scissors or knife come in handy. I found that it worked a lot better and scratched it less if I did the scraping under water. So try this if you are finding it difficult.

Then he should look like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ok this is where it gets tricky, messy and frustrating.. haha and you thought it was bad already!!
You need to drill the black part out of the rear panel in order to make it see through when you put the badge on.
A lot of different people will have different ways of doing this, but this is what I found easiest for me 
Basically, with a permanent marker, I drew on the rear panel on all the bits that had silver on them. Refer to second to last pic to see what I mean about silver left on rear panel.
You can make out where the badge used to sit.
so with this, I knew where NOT to drill, as the sera logo has to have something to be stuck back onto.

So, once I had mapped out where the badge used to sit, I started to drillÍ
All I did was drill little holes in the black areaÝs and then place the badge back over it so I could see it if all fitted right

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, my original plan was to have all the letters supported by a little black bit, but because I was careless and anxious to get it done, I slipped and the E and broke off and a bit of the R. So moral isÍ SLOW DOWN! Also you may notice, mine is now abit more scratched now :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#5 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

This is what it looked like when I was done, S and A still intact, with and then without the badge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now you must glue the badge back on, this means using whatever gluey type thing you have chosen to use, in this case I chose silicone. Put some on the little bit that you didnÝt drill and also around the inside edge, that way it will stick all around.

Once I stuck the badge in place, I carefully turned the panel over and coated all of the back of the ýSERAţ part in silicone, like so

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:43 AM

This gave it a very opaque look and will help to diffuse the light abit more.
Then, just to diffuse the light more, and to give it an even look, I got a piece of plain white paper, cut it to size and stuck it to the silicone

Posted Image

Once that has dried abit, Its time to start thinking about wiring up the cold cathode.
Now this is the bit I got some help for, as it wasnÝt my cold cathode nor inverter, so I let the pro attack it, so for now, you can have a pic, any specific questions just ask hehe
This picture is of everything sitting in place before I siliconed them in place

Posted Image

Before you silicone anything, make sure its in exactly the right place. Try wiring stuff up and having someone else help hold it up so you can make the minor adjustments.

Lining the cold cathode

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:48 AM

Holding it up so that we can make sure its perfect

Posted Image

This next picture is after I had a fight with the silicone tube.

Posted Image

Let him dry for a while, maybe go and have a cool drink or something to eat, coz the hard part is over!!

So now thatÝs all done, it time to put it back into your Sera :thumbsup:

This means wiring up the inverter to the tail lights, or brake lights, depending on when you want the light to come on.

I chose the tail lights for mine. This means that whenever I put my parking lights and/or head lights on. When I re-attatched the rear panel, I put the wires from the inverter to the left side so that I could use the passenger side rear light. I extended the wires as the inverter wires werenÝt quite long enough. When I connected the extensions, I noted the colors of the wires, make sure to do this!!
I then connected the positive to the green wire going to the bulb that controls the low-power filament (for tail lighting) and the negative wire to the taillight bulb ground.
I used some BP connectors to make the connections ˝ these provide a fairly secure connection but they took up some space behind the cluster (as they about the size of a marble but more awkwardly shaped) and made it harder (but not impossible) to refit it.
Unlike LED lighting no resistors or things like that are necessary as the inverter has a 12v input which is voltage regulated.
Also note that the cold cathode fluoro tube is rapid start ˝ no fluoro flicker ˝ and it comes on almost instantly with the tail lights. Maybe about a split split second delay. Most people donÝt notice, only me coz im picky. The nice white light looks very pure in comparison to the incandescent bulbs lighting the number plates, which unfortunately are yellow lol
But yes, I opted for the white instead of red. Cold cathodes come in many colours, so take your pick hehe

Also please not when re-attaching the rear light clusters, these little knobby things have to go in first

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Seralicious

Seralicious

Resident Playboy Bunny

• Pink members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

FINAL PRODUCT!

Posted Image

(sorry for the blurriness, do hope to get a better final pic soon)

I really hope this helps! And if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I can modify this as we go. I just thought it would be really nice to have a very very detailed explanation of it with lots of pics.
Im very sorry I havenÝt yet got a picture of the wiring, but I can always take it out and take a pic later. See how we go :thumbsup:

Enjoy all!!
And please donÝt hesitate to ask questions!

Love Sera xxx
Posted Image

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

Well done, great write up, nice nail varnish.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#10 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

Now you'll have to do it again to my Sera :thumbsup:

#11 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

Yeah great write up..

Well done :thumbsup: it looks great!
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#12 stonecold

stonecold

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

Looks good (and hard to do!). I'd imagine its not allowed to have a white/yellow light on the rear of your car in this part of the world, so I'll probably go with red LED's instead.

#13 amashun

amashun

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

good work and well done :thumbsup:
but you are a lair....

you said pic of everything... so where is your picture??Posted Image

#14 Tony

Tony

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Awesome review! :thumbsup:

PS weather looks great where you live. Can I come visit? ;) Its pants over here. :( .

#15 Impressive G

Impressive G

Everybody Loves TURBO Fighting...HA!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

nice bath....
Enjoy the ride...Invincible Sera 7706 TSS Class B runner up 2008 :)1991 Sera Turbo Audi Ibis White****My Motor****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users