Photo

Ser15t - Rebecca's Phase 1 Sera

25 replies to this topic

#16 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I know it's a bit wild, but it's a wrap and can be removed at a later date, restoring back to factory colour easily :)

#17 Noely

Noely

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Wow looks awesome! Colour kinda looks similar to my GT-Four i'll have to find a pic of it. Funnily enough I had lenso s7 modifys on it as well great job looks like a real show car now!  :thumbsup:

93' TOYOTA SERA

Phase III -Light silver opal

:ph34r: Newcastle - [AUS] :thumbsup:

#18 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Lesson learnt - seemingly major problems can sometimes be caused by the simplest things.

Our engine hasn't been running right for a few months.
Generally speaking, accelerating with full throttle is fine, but when accelerating normally, the engine will often cut out at 3,000rpm and reaquire very light throttle to get past 3,000.

ECU Error codes said MAP sensor/ vacuum sensor so I shelled out for a new MAP sensor, no difference.
I replaced all vacuum lines to the Map & vacuum sensors. no difference.

I checked the turbo and couldn't find anything wrong.

Put a boost gauge on it and found that it was overboosting at 15psi. This will cause the ECU to cut fuel, so finally I know what's happening.

But why?
And with that question, it dawns on me that if the actuator wasn't opening the wastegate, the turbo would overboost.

So I checked the linkages again, all intact. Lubed them with some WD40, no difference.
Checked movement by hand, it opens the wastegate. I check the vacuum lines and realise, the line off the actuator is going to atmosphere instead of boost !!!

Plugged it back in and we're back in business with a smoothly running 4EFTE Sera....

Until the hose blows off again while the wife is doing the test drive. It cut twice then backfired and blew flames out the exhaust!!
I'm glad I upgraded the Cat to a 200cpi metal one :)
So now with 50cents of new vacuum tubing between compressor and actuator, it's fixed properly.

Time & money spent was a lot more than 50cents and 10 minutes of struggling to get a 20cm hand into a 10cm gap between pipes, radiator, manifold & turbo.

But the flames were cool. !

#19 miffy

miffy

Competent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

The wrap colours are amazing :thumbsup:

I'm happy to hear the turbo issues have been sorted but flames blowing out of the exhaust sounds pretty impressive ;)

#20 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Well, the exhaust flames have definitely been extinguished - a tiny little hole in a coolant pipe off the thermostat housing almost had our Sera towed home on Tuesday night.

We decided to risk driving it 15 minutes to home - stopping a couple of times to fill up water and let engine cool down along the way.

Pulled things apart and here's what I found:
IMG_20150923_221318_zpspmgbk6px.jpg

A new thermostat housing would be a good idea. Toyota "only" want $135 which isn't too bad, but none are in stock. It will take a week to make one and 2 weeks to ship it to me.
So instead I grabbed some JB Weld and have applied it over the holes and around the pipe.
Once it's set (15 - 24 hours) I'll give the cooling system a great big flush, reassemble engine and put a new hose all the way along that pipe so it covers the JB Weld where the holes were. Fingers crossed it will be reliable.

#21 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

JB weld is on - this stuff is supposed to be strong and safe at temperatures well above an engine coolant pipe.

IMG_20150924_180123_zpsuvsqg8m9.jpg

I've also flushed the radiator, heater matrix and engine with hose pressure water.
Next is reassemble, then a checmical flush and finally fresh coolant with rust inhibitor.

#22 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Well, today it all went back together. Aside from one hose clamp dieing, there were no issues.
It's running, not leaking and ready for Toyotafest next week.

#23 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Holy cow, Toyota Fest 2016 is only 2 and a bit weeks away - 12 months since my last update.

I had been having intermittent starter motor issues - sometimes it just wouldn't start and seemed to be a heat issue.
I suspected the starter motor was in poorly condition, so lifted the car and removed the Starter. I pulled it apart and couldn't see anything wrong, but...
A replacement was over $400, so I contacted an auto electrician about a rebuild. He said, old cars like that often have insufficient wiring to the starter and experience voltage drop. He'd run an extra power cable with relay and it should be good.
So I did that myself and it's been 100%. touch wood.
Then I noticed the battery was not only leaking a little acid, but also swollen, so it's been replaced. Was only 3.5 years old :(

Then a few weeks ago, we went to a car show / chill out. Kids had fun in the sun & it was good to look at a lot of other cars in the "scene".
It seems air bag suspension is becoming popular with a new generation of enthusiasts, so I bought some new suspension for the Sera.

IMG_20160915_124915_zpsk5gzu1ku.jpg

"XYZ" brand Coilovers - specifically for Starlets, but I believe it's compatible. I get to install it next week.

I was quite impressed by the retail packaging.
IMG_20160915_124542_zpsyh14owf7.jpg

The plan is - rear shocks are at least 15 years old and need replacing. Fronts are probably 10 years old and now I get to customise the ride height, removing some of the excessive gap between tyre and wheel arch.
Perfect timing for Toyota Fest on October 3rd.

Anyone in Sydney on the day, come & say Hi at the Toyota Dealership, Victoria Ave, Castle Hill.

#24 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Got the front shocks installed tonight, plus a touch of paint on the brake caliper.
IMG_20160918_232816_zpsml5k2uos.jpg

Steering travel looks OK, about a fingers gap to the brake hard line. Jacked it up and vertical travel doesn't get any closer.

I'm not happy that one of the bolt holes on the front struts is slotted (oval) - makes wheel alignment harder to get even, but otherwise I'm looking forward to having these on the road.

Tomorrow I'll put the wheels back on and see how it sits on the ground - I'm worried I may have it a bit too low - this is the static (unloaded) height difference of the struts:
IMG_20160918_221616_zpsidvmhgi0.jpg

Some might be interested - these XYZ coilovers weigh 5.5kg, my old spring & strut with a Koni insert weighs 6.6kg - only 1kg difference.
The same suspension swap in my old Mitsubishi Magna saved about 5kg per corner.

#25 Noely

Noely

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

Coil overs look good Graham cant wait to see the height difference making me excited!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :wizard:

93' TOYOTA SERA

Phase III -Light silver opal

:ph34r: Newcastle - [AUS] :thumbsup:

#26 Scuzzy

Scuzzy

Deadly

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hurrah go-fast bits

Reply to this topic