22 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:53 PM

Someone is converting their Starlet turbo Automatic to manual.

They're going to measure the torque converter fixings and I'm going to compare against the Seras [update: both Starlet GT auto and Sera auto share the same torque converter mounting points]

Starlets have different ECU's between auto and manual, whereas Seras don't. I have twigged that the Starlet automatic gearbox has extra features which are routed through the ECU.

I'm thinking if a 4E-FTE engine was mated to a Sera gearbox, and a manual 4E-FTE ecu could be used then it should be fine.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#2 markweatherill

markweatherill

Dangerous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

That's interesting! I guess the Sera was such a low volume car, it was more economical to use the automatic ECU in the manual version and not connect everything.

So that means a manual to automatic conversion in a Sera would be easy..?

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

Easier I think.

The Starlet manual ECU on the EP82 had 2 plugs, one 26 pin, one 16 pin, just like the Sera, with the exact same pin layout. Therefore its basically plug and play on a manual, and just swap things over in the engine bay

The automatic had 3 plugs, 26 pin, 16 pin and another 12 pin plug. It may be possible to use the auto ECU but not connect up the 12 pin plug that doesn't exist on the Sera just to use the manual ECU.

1992 Toyota Sera ph3 ï1977 Lancia Montecarlo ï 1999 TVR Chimaera ï 2005 Fiat Ducato Motorhome ï Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography ï Racing Exposure ï Facebook ï Twitter ï Instagram

#4 sera_beetle

sera_beetle

TEINy TIM

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:12 PM

any updates on this andrew?
178 bhp.... i think it's time for a new engine and a colour change!

View my sera here or here

#5 darknscaryman

darknscaryman

X-man hehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Whats generally best to have in a manual sera with a converted engine(starlet).
wildsexman@hotmail.com

#6 Dan_Q

Dan_Q

celicophile

• Super Special Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:37 PM

ooh- that is interesting, i'll tell sazzle- may change her plans, again!

Thanks for the info andrew :wizard:
Used to look after a 1990 EXY10 Auto

#7 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:22 PM

I have nothing new to add apart from having to try it out to see if the theory works.

I can't see why not!

#8 toyotasera

toyotasera

Above Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

if ur refering to using a 4e-fte ecu when changing the sera from auto to manual yes its a straight swap u can use the sera harnness aswell just changing the ecu 5 min job i did like that when turbo chareg my sera
5e-fhe turbo powered sera:)
<<My Pocket Rocket>>

#9 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

I was thinking of how to convert a Sera automatic to turbo without changing the gearbox to manual

#10 canadian sera

canadian sera

Average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

I was thinking of how to convert a Sera automatic to turbo without changing the gearbox to manual

I really am trying to find away of doing that now Andrew. I'm trying to see if the paseo kit offered in Canada will fit. I'm looking at a small T3 turbo1 Plus i still want those struts from ya and the glass can come later. please give me the info to purchase from you

#11 Mork

Mork

Spatula Man!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

There are Turbo Starlets that are autos, so why is it a problem on a Sera?

#12 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would use

Starlet auto flywheel/flex plate
matching starter motor
Sera gearbox & driveshafts
Starlet manual ECU

If you want struts I can send to Canada. Costs I have given over facebook. Payment can be by paypal to andrew@toyotasera.co.uk

#13 Adam Evans

Adam Evans

Spammer !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

That's handy to know
I was thinking that if my engine starts giving me any more trouble. I was gonna throw a turbo at it. But I would want an auto. This isn't a compromise ! Haha 21 and im already a lazy old man !

Why would you use a manual ecu with an auto box. Are they universal ?

As I parked in the disabled bay the other day someone shouted over

"Hey, what's your disability ?"

I shouted back, "tourettes now F**K OFF !!"

#14 AndrewC

AndrewC

Izzy wizzy lets get busy

• Admin
  • 7,937 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

The automatic starlet turbo has a 'power' mode on the gearbox which is controlled by the ECU. The Sera doesn't - the ECU's are the same manual to automatic. The manual Starlet ECU has same wiring connections as the Sera. The Starlet Turbo automatic box has an extra 12 wires going to the gearbox via a dash switch and a warning light.

The Starlet manual ECU + Sera auto box should work fine and should be a lot easier to install.

Graham may be able to fill in some blanks as he dismantles his new car.

#15 Graham

Graham

Sydney, Australia. Sera now with turbo :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'll see what I can report back at the end of the week - hopefully engine will come out of donor Sera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users